- Curvature of spine.
- Decreased vision that gets worse over time.
- Developmental delay.
- Failure to thrive (grow) in infancy.
- Muscle weakness.
- Poor muscle coordination that usually develops after age 10.
- Protruding abdomen.
- Slurred speech.
- Stool abnormalities, including:Fatty stools that appear pale in color, frothy stools, abnormally foul-smelling stools.
- Iron and folate may be deficient.
- Direct antibody test results are negative.
- Blood group may show McLeod or null Lutheran phenotype.
- Total bilirubin and lactate dehydrogenase levels are elevated, reflecting the degree of hemolysis.
- Liver function tests and total protein and albumin levels are abnormal in liver disease.
- Serum creatine kinase is elevated in chorea-acanthocytosis and McLeod syndrome.
- Plasma lipid profile may be abnormal. In abetalipoproteinemia, plasma cholesterol levels are very low, less than 50 mg/dL. Plasma phospholipid levels are very low. Plasma apolipoprotein B is absent. Chylomicrons, VLDLs, and LDLs are absent. Serum triglyceride levels are very low, less than 10 mg/dL. Plasma sphingomyelin levels are relatively increased at the expense of lecithin.
- Levels of fat-soluble vitamins E, A, D, or K are decreased in abetalipoproteinemia, hypobetalipoproteinemia, and malnutrition.
- Prothrombin time (PT) is prolonged in vitamin K deficiency.
- Fecal fat is elevated in abetalipoproteinemia, hypobetalipoproteinemia, and malnutrition.
- MTP (microsomal triglyceride transfer protein) or APOB or ApoB sequencing may identify mutations (not widely available).
- Endocrine studies may reflect hypothyroidism or panhypopituitarism.
- Blood tests to look for vitamin deficiencies (fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K).
- Complete blood count (CBC).
- Cholesterol studies.
- Eye exam.
- Nerve conduction velocity.
- Stool sample analysis.
It is well known that our overall health and wellbeing are totally dependable on what we eat. That is why a healthy diet plays a significant role in keeping the body healthy. Day after day, scientists all over the world make new discoveries proving that certain...
A new study finds that brain volumes of people who regularly eat vegetables, fruit, and fish are on average 2ml greater than brain volumes of those who often drink sugary beverages. A brain volume reduction of 3.6ml equals to one year of aging. For the study, the...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more