- Curvature of spine.
- Decreased vision that gets worse over time.
- Developmental delay.
- Failure to thrive (grow) in infancy.
- Muscle weakness.
- Poor muscle coordination that usually develops after age 10.
- Protruding abdomen.
- Slurred speech.
- Stool abnormalities, including:Fatty stools that appear pale in color, frothy stools, abnormally foul-smelling stools.
- Iron and folate may be deficient.
- Direct antibody test results are negative.
- Blood group may show McLeod or null Lutheran phenotype.
- Total bilirubin and lactate dehydrogenase levels are elevated, reflecting the degree of hemolysis.
- Liver function tests and total protein and albumin levels are abnormal in liver disease.
- Serum creatine kinase is elevated in chorea-acanthocytosis and McLeod syndrome.
- Plasma lipid profile may be abnormal. In abetalipoproteinemia, plasma cholesterol levels are very low, less than 50 mg/dL. Plasma phospholipid levels are very low. Plasma apolipoprotein B is absent. Chylomicrons, VLDLs, and LDLs are absent. Serum triglyceride levels are very low, less than 10 mg/dL. Plasma sphingomyelin levels are relatively increased at the expense of lecithin.
- Levels of fat-soluble vitamins E, A, D, or K are decreased in abetalipoproteinemia, hypobetalipoproteinemia, and malnutrition.
- Prothrombin time (PT) is prolonged in vitamin K deficiency.
- Fecal fat is elevated in abetalipoproteinemia, hypobetalipoproteinemia, and malnutrition.
- MTP (microsomal triglyceride transfer protein) or APOB or ApoB sequencing may identify mutations (not widely available).
- Endocrine studies may reflect hypothyroidism or panhypopituitarism.
- Blood tests to look for vitamin deficiencies (fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K).
- Complete blood count (CBC).
- Cholesterol studies.
- Eye exam.
- Nerve conduction velocity.
- Stool sample analysis.
Soccer is one of the most watched and followed sport around the world. Soccer is obviously has given the world many known figures like Pele, Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane, Maradona, Neymar and many more. There are many people who dream to be one of them and indulge their...
Recent British research, presented at the National Cancer Research Institute annual conference in the UK, suggests that women who are early risers have lower chances to develop breast cancer. To study the link between sleep habits and breast cancer, researchers...
Factors such as age, gender, physical activity, genetics, medical history, body type, and others directly affect not only the desire to lose weight, but also to follow the right diet. Everything is relative, everything is individual. Nevertheless, there are universal...read more
It is very entertaining to be a sport fan. There is a big variety of sport games that are extremely interesting to follow. Moreover, it is always fun to anticipate the score and watch the enthusiasm live. One of the benefits of being sports fan is using different...read more
A new study of nearly 18,000 participants found that those with high fitness at middle age were significantly less likely to die from heart disease in later life, even if they were diagnosed with depression. Doctor's Tips: How to Stay Fit While Treating Depression Dr....read more