- Curvature of spine.
- Decreased vision that gets worse over time.
- Developmental delay.
- Failure to thrive (grow) in infancy.
- Muscle weakness.
- Poor muscle coordination that usually develops after age 10.
- Protruding abdomen.
- Slurred speech.
- Stool abnormalities, including:Fatty stools that appear pale in color, frothy stools, abnormally foul-smelling stools.
- Iron and folate may be deficient.
- Direct antibody test results are negative.
- Blood group may show McLeod or null Lutheran phenotype.
- Total bilirubin and lactate dehydrogenase levels are elevated, reflecting the degree of hemolysis.
- Liver function tests and total protein and albumin levels are abnormal in liver disease.
- Serum creatine kinase is elevated in chorea-acanthocytosis and McLeod syndrome.
- Plasma lipid profile may be abnormal. In abetalipoproteinemia, plasma cholesterol levels are very low, less than 50 mg/dL. Plasma phospholipid levels are very low. Plasma apolipoprotein B is absent. Chylomicrons, VLDLs, and LDLs are absent. Serum triglyceride levels are very low, less than 10 mg/dL. Plasma sphingomyelin levels are relatively increased at the expense of lecithin.
- Levels of fat-soluble vitamins E, A, D, or K are decreased in abetalipoproteinemia, hypobetalipoproteinemia, and malnutrition.
- Prothrombin time (PT) is prolonged in vitamin K deficiency.
- Fecal fat is elevated in abetalipoproteinemia, hypobetalipoproteinemia, and malnutrition.
- MTP (microsomal triglyceride transfer protein) or APOB or ApoB sequencing may identify mutations (not widely available).
- Endocrine studies may reflect hypothyroidism or panhypopituitarism.
- Blood tests to look for vitamin deficiencies (fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K).
- Complete blood count (CBC).
- Cholesterol studies.
- Eye exam.
- Nerve conduction velocity.
- Stool sample analysis.
According to the latest study, published in the European Journal of Public Health, regular use of probiotics may cut the necessity for antibiotics and help decrease the rise of antibiotic resistance. Having performed the analysis of the data, collected from recent...
A team of scientists from the University of Pennsylvania claims that they managed to patch up permanent teeth in children with the help of stem cells taken from baby teeth. The team performed the clinical trial that involved 30 children treated with the new method and...
It is very entertaining to be a sport fan. There is a big variety of sport games that are extremely interesting to follow. Moreover, it is always fun to anticipate the score and watch the enthusiasm live. One of the benefits of being sports fan is using different...read more
A new study of nearly 18,000 participants found that those with high fitness at middle age were significantly less likely to die from heart disease in later life, even if they were diagnosed with depression. Doctor's Tips: How to Stay Fit While Treating Depression Dr....read more
The warm ups are supposed to increase body temperature and blood flow so the muscles and surrounding joints become more responsive and prepared for physical activity. Although there’s a neurological element to warm-ups, most research focuses on the physiological...read more