- The disease can also arise from endocrine disorders resulting from obesity. Many obese people suffer from diabetes and endocrine disorders which can trigger Acanthosis Nigricans.
- Addison disease, a condition caused by a deficiency of hormones from the adrenal gland.
- Disorders of the pituitary gland within the brain.
- Low levels of thyroid hormone caused by decreased activity of the thyroid gland (hypothyroidism).
- Some drugs, particularly hormones such as human growth hormone or oral contraceptives can also cause acanthosis nigricans.
- People with cancers of the gastrointestinal or genitourinary tracts or with lymphoma can also develop severe cases of acanthosis nigricans.
- Rarely acanthosis nigricans is associated with a tumor, most commonly of the stomach or gut. Occasionally acanthosis nigricans is congenital or due to an endocrine (glandular) disorder.
- The skin is darker and thicker in certain areas. These areas may be light-brown to black in color.
- Acanthosis nigricans generally appears slowly, sometimes over months or years causing no symptoms except skin changes.
- Skin turns dark,velvety with very visible markings and creases appears in the armpits, groin and neck which is painless. Sometimes, the lips, palms,soles of feet, or other areas may be affected. These areas may be light-brown to black in color.
- Diet modification is also among the most effective Acanthosis Nigricans treatments. Obese and diabetic patients should incorporate low-calorie foods into their diet. The individual should also cut down on his or her carbohydrate intake. A low-calorie and low-sugar diet is seen as an effective cure for Acanthosis Nigricans. Dietary modifications can help both Acanthosis Nigricans children and adults recover within a month.
- If the patient is obese then lose weight can be the appropriate way of treating it.
- Treatment to just improve the appearance includes Retin-A, 20% urea, alpha hydroxyl acids (AHAs), and lactic or salicylic acid prescriptions.
- The disorder can be treated by correcting hyperinsulinemia through diet and medication.
A new study, published in the medical journal JAMA, finds that the more teenagers involved in social media, the higher their risk is to develop the symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). These symptoms may include inattention, hyperactivity,...
Scientists from the Check Republic discovered the evidence that ticks may prefer attacking people with a certain blood type. Tick, the blood-sucking parasites, can carry various bacteria, including bugs that cause the Lyme disease. In the course of study, the...
We all know that doing sports is very important, both for health and for a beautiful body. But at the moment when we decide to finally take the path, we are faced with the question: what kind of sport is right for me? So, let's start with the fact that a lot of people...read more
Pranayama is not just a complex of breathing exercises. It is a complex process, during which a person receives vital energy - prana from the air. Literally pranayama is translated as "stopping breathing". Hence the main goal of the whole breathing gymnastics is to be...read more
Experts often advise people as suitable trainings to climb stairs, rather than use the elevator. And here are 6 reasons why we should do this regularly. Classes on the treadmill or with the ellipsoid simulator in daily mode seem too boring. They can be replaced by a...read more