Achlorhydria: Description, Causes and Risk Factors:Absence of hydrochloric acid (HCl) from the gastric juice.Achlorhydria refers to states where the production of gastric acid in the stomach is absent or low, respectively. It is associated with various other medical problems.Causes & Risk Factors:The slowing of the body's basal metabolic rate (BMR) associated with hypothyroidism.
- Autoimmune disorders where there is antibody production against parietal cells which normally produce gastric acid.
- The use of antacids or drugs that decrease gastric acid production (such as H2-receptor antagonists) or transport (such as proton pump inhibitors).
- A symptom of rare diseases such as mucolipidosis (type IV).
- A symptom of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection which neutralizes and decreases secretion of gastric acid to aid its survival in the stomach.
- A symptom of pernicious anemia, atrophic gastritis or of stomach cancer.
- Radiation therapy involving the stomach.
- Gastric bypass procedures such a Duodenal Switch and RNY, where the largest acid producing parts of the stomach are either removed, or blinded.
- VIPomas and somatostatinomas are both islet cell tumors of the pancreas.
- Pellagra, caused by niacin deficiency.
- Achlorhydria may also be documented by measurements of extremely low serum levels of pepsinogen A (PgA) (< 17 mcg/L).
- High serum gastrin levels (>500-1000 pg/mL) may support a diagnosis of achlorhydria.
- Litmus paper is readily available to examine the pH of gastric secretions and, in contrast to the pH electrode, is less expensive while providing equally reliable results.
A small study, conducted by the researchers from Washington University School of Medicine, suggests that a new MRI brain scan can be more efficient in determining the patient’s risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease than common clinical tests, long before the disease...
According to recent research, published in the journal Immunity, probiotics can be used safely and efficiently to fight osteoporosis, widely-known as osteoporosis. The researchers have used a mouse model to check the hypothesis. The mice received oral Lactobacillus...
Factors such as age, gender, physical activity, genetics, medical history, body type, and others directly affect not only the desire to lose weight, but also to follow the right diet. Everything is relative, everything is individual. Nevertheless, there are universal...read more
It is very entertaining to be a sport fan. There is a big variety of sport games that are extremely interesting to follow. Moreover, it is always fun to anticipate the score and watch the enthusiasm live. One of the benefits of being sports fan is using different...read more
A new study of nearly 18,000 participants found that those with high fitness at middle age were significantly less likely to die from heart disease in later life, even if they were diagnosed with depression. Doctor's Tips: How to Stay Fit While Treating Depression Dr....read more