- Hypertrophic/Bowenoid (thick areas of scale).
- Cutaneous horn: A horny protuberance, the majority are caused by actinic keratoses or warts but 15% are secondary to an underlying SCC.
- Lichenoid (smooth and shiny, mainly occurring in areas of friction).
- Actinic chelitis (lips).
- The use of artificial UV (ultraviolet) radiation such as UVB (ultraviolet B) and PUVA (psoralen plus ultraviolet light of A wavelength or Psoralin with Ultra Violet A) used to treatment psoriasis and a number of other skin conditions, as well as sun beds increase the risk.
- Genetic factors play a role and individuals with fair skin, blue eyes and blond hair are at higher risk.
- Men are more affected than women.
- Patients with Xeroderma Pigmentosum (XP) or Albinism can develop lesions at a very young age
- AKs can occasionally transform into squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) - the presence of ten AKs is associated with a 14% risk of developing an invasive squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) within 5 years.
- There may be burning, itching or tenderness at the site.
- They may feel scaly or crusted onpalpation, and are better examined under intense lighting.
- Lesions may vary in size from 3-10 mm in diameter and enlargegradually.
- The lesions are usually poorly demarcated, appearing as slightly erythematous papules or plaques in areassuch as the face, balding scalp, posterior neck, upper chest and dorsal upper extremity.
- They often appearreddish in color with a white scale on top.
- Patients limiting their recreational sunlight exposure need to have an adequate dietary intake of vitamin D.
- The use of a moisturiser 2-3 times a day can be helpful in differentiating between areas of normal and abnormal skin.
- Curettage and electrodesiccation (scrapes away the lesion and uses electricity to kill any remaining cells).
- Excision (cutting the tumor out and using stitches to place the skin back together).
- Freezing (cryotherapy, which freezes and kills the cells).
- Laser Therapy.
- Photodynamic Therapy (PDT).
- Chemical Peels.
A new study, conducted by researchers from Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, suggests that a healthy diet may protect the gut microbiome from being destroyed by antibiotics. For the purpose of the study the team treated three groups of mice with different...
According to a recent Japanese study, which is the first of its kind, eating mushrooms is associated with a lower risk of developing prostate cancer. For the study, a team of scientists analyzed data of 36,499 Japanese men aged from 40 to 79 years taken from the...
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...