- Food allergies such as allergies to nuts, strawberries, citrus fruit, egg, food additives, spices, chocolate, or shellfish. Sometimes you can develop an allergy to a food even if you have eaten it without any problem many times before.
- Allergies to insect bites and stings.
- Allergies to medicines such as penicillin, aspirin, anti-inflammatory painkillers, etc.
- Viral infection such as a cold or 'flu can trigger an urticarial rash in some people. A mild viral infection which causes few other symptoms is probably a common trigger of an urticarial rash that develops without an apparent cause.
- Skin contact with 'sensitizers' causes a local area of urticaria in some people. For example, chemicals, latex, cosmetics, plants, ointments, nettle stings, etc.
- Physical urticaria. This is when a localized rash appears when the skin is physically stimulated. The most common is called dermographism when a rash develops over areas of skin, which are firmly stroked. Sometimes an urticarial rash is caused by heat, cold, emotion, exercise, or strong sunlight. See separate leaflet called 'Physical Urticaria'.
- Most people with acute urticaria do not feel 'ill', but the appearance of the rash and the itch can be troublesome.
- In some cases a condition called angioedema develops at the same time as urticaria. In this condition some fluid also leaks into deeper tissues under the skin which causes the tissues to swell.
- The swelling of angioedema can occur anywhere in the body but most commonly affects the eyelids, lips and genitals.
- Sometimes the tongue and throat are affected and become swollen. The swelling sometimes becomes bad enough to cause difficulty breathing.
- Symptoms of angioedema tend to last longer than urticarial weals. It may take up to three days for the swollen areas to subside and go.
- A variation called 'vasculitic urticaria' occurs in a small number of cases. In this condition the weals last more than 24 hours, they are often painful, may become dark red, and may leave a red pigmented mark on the skin when the weal goes.
- A blood test to find out whether the patient is suffering from anemia.
- A stool sample to check for parasites.
- ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) test - this can identify problems with the patient's immune system.
- Thyroid function test - this identifies either hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) or hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid).
- Liver function tests - these can identify whether the patient has any liver problems.
- If a trigger can be identified, avoidance is the most effective form of management. This would include any food, medication, physical agent, or other factor that triggers the urticaria
- A cool bath or shower may ease the itch.
- Antihistamine tablets can ease symptoms. Antihistamines block the action of histamine which is involved in causing urticaria. You can get antihistamines on prescription.
- A short course of steroid tablets is sometimes prescribed in severe cases to help reduce swelling in the skin.
The first randomized clinical trial, performed by the researchers from the University of Minnesota Medical School, shows that hydroxychloroquine is not able to prevent the development of COVID-19. The randomized placebo-controlled trial aimed to test if...
Scientists have successfully transplanted functional miniature livers into rats. The organs were grown in the lab from reprogrammed human skin cells donated by the volunteers. Researchers transplanted organs into five rats, and the tiny livers appeared to be...
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...