- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia is a group of autosomal recessive disorders resulting from the impaired enzymatic action of one of the enzymes required for the synthesis of cortisol or aldosterone in the adrenal cortex. The most frequent disorder is steroid 21-hydroxylase deficiency, accounting for more than 90 % of cases. The second most frequent is 11 beta-hydroxylase deficiency accounts for 5-8% of all congenital adrenal hyperplasia cases.
- Another disorder, 17-hydroxylase deficiency accounts for less than 1% of cases of congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Blocks in cortisol or aldosterone synthesis result in some degree of cortisol deficiency, aldosterone deficiency, or both. On the other hand, blocks in cortisol synthesis impair the negative feedback control of the adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) secretion, which leads to chronic stimulation of the adrenal cortex by ACTH and adrenal cortical hyperplasia. The enzyme deficiencies in adrenogenital syndrome (congenital adrenal hyperplasia) act as a dam behind which steroid precursors accumulate. They are then shunted through the uninhibited pathways and result in excessive synthesis and secretion of adrenal androgens.
- Girls with a more severe form often have abnormal genitals at birth and may be diagnosed before symptoms appear.
- Boys will appear normal at birth even if they have a more severe form.
- In children with the more severe form of the disorder, symptoms often develop within 2 or 3 weeks after birth.
- Electrolyte changes (abnormal levels of sodium and potassium in the blood).
- Abnormal heart rhythm.
- Abnormal menstrual periods or failure to menstruate.
- Excessive hair growth.
- Some enlargement of the clitoris.
- Deepening voice.
- Enlarged penis but normal testes.
- Well-developed muscles.
- Imaging: X-rays may be helpful.
- Genetic tests can help diagnose or confirm the disorder, but that are rarely needed.
A new study from the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, Canada, suggests that stretching can be more efficient than brisk walking at lowering high blood pressure for people suffering from hypertension. In this study, the researchers recruited almost 40 men and...
Researchers from Ruhr-University Bochum in Germany developed a “designer cytokine” that regenerated injured nerves in the spinal cords of the paralyzed mice. After this treatment, mice were able to walk after 2-3 weeks. For this study, a team of scientists used a...
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...