- Secondary - caused by another disease, including some types of cancer.
- Hereditary amyloidosis is rare. It is a specific type of amyloidosis that can be passed down from generation to generation in a family. It may cause peripheral sensory and motor neuropathy problems (issues relating to the central nervous system), carpal tunnel syndrome, and eye abnormalities. The most common subtypes involve the transthyretin (TTR) protein.
- Weight loss.
- Fluid retention (edema).
- Shortness of breath.
- Numbness or a tingling feeling in the hands and feet.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (compression of the nerve in your wrist).
- Blood spots on the skin.
- An enlarged tongue - sometimes with blood spots, plaques and blisters.
- Bone marrow biopsy - a small tag of bone marrow is removed and examined for abnormalities.
- Tissue biopsy - a small tag of abdominal fat or rectal tissue is removed with a slender needle and examined in a laboratory.
- Treatment for any underlying disorder such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Drugs to slow amyloid activity.
- A special diet tailored to your needs - for example, a person with affected kidneys will benefit from a low-salt diet.
- Dialysis, if the kidneys are affected.
- Drugs to stabilize the heartbeat, if the heart is affected.
- Transplants of affected organs may be considered.
- Current trials include the use of particular chemotherapy medications and bone marrow transplants.
Scientists from the Check Republic discovered the evidence that ticks may prefer attacking people with a certain blood type. Tick, the blood-sucking parasites, can carry various bacteria, including bugs that cause the Lyme disease. In the course of study, the...
A team of scientists from the Swinburne University of Technology in Australia finds that cinnamon may help in treating resistant bacterial infections breaking up their biofilms — sticky layers that are usually responsible for persistent infections that cannot be...
We all know that doing sports is very important, both for health and for a beautiful body. But at the moment when we decide to finally take the path, we are faced with the question: what kind of sport is right for me? So, let's start with the fact that a lot of people...read more
Pranayama is not just a complex of breathing exercises. It is a complex process, during which a person receives vital energy - prana from the air. Literally pranayama is translated as "stopping breathing". Hence the main goal of the whole breathing gymnastics is to be...read more
Experts often advise people as suitable trainings to climb stairs, rather than use the elevator. And here are 6 reasons why we should do this regularly. Classes on the treadmill or with the ellipsoid simulator in daily mode seem too boring. They can be replaced by a...read more