- Secondary - caused by another disease, including some types of cancer.
- Hereditary amyloidosis is rare. It is a specific type of amyloidosis that can be passed down from generation to generation in a family. It may cause peripheral sensory and motor neuropathy problems (issues relating to the central nervous system), carpal tunnel syndrome, and eye abnormalities. The most common subtypes involve the transthyretin (TTR) protein.
- Weight loss.
- Fluid retention (edema).
- Shortness of breath.
- Numbness or a tingling feeling in the hands and feet.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome (compression of the nerve in your wrist).
- Blood spots on the skin.
- An enlarged tongue - sometimes with blood spots, plaques and blisters.
- Bone marrow biopsy - a small tag of bone marrow is removed and examined for abnormalities.
- Tissue biopsy - a small tag of abdominal fat or rectal tissue is removed with a slender needle and examined in a laboratory.
- Treatment for any underlying disorder such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Drugs to slow amyloid activity.
- A special diet tailored to your needs - for example, a person with affected kidneys will benefit from a low-salt diet.
- Dialysis, if the kidneys are affected.
- Drugs to stabilize the heartbeat, if the heart is affected.
- Transplants of affected organs may be considered.
- Current trials include the use of particular chemotherapy medications and bone marrow transplants.
According to recent clinical research, with the results published in JAMA, high doses of vitamin D may prevent the growth of colorectal cancer in combination with chemotherapy. During the study, the researchers observed that progression of the disease in patients who...
A new study from Boston University, US, demonstrates that electrostimulation may improve the working memory in people in their 70s. In the course of the study, the researchers asked a group of people in their 20s and a group in their 60s and 70s to complete a bunch of...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more
It is time for us to find the solution how to deal with extra weight which is coming with Christmas and New Year’s celebrations because 2018 is almost over and 2019 is getting closer. The main aim is obviously staying in shape and today will find an effective way to...read more
We know that moderate exercise strengthens our health and makes us more beautiful. But few know about the importance of doing sports as psychotherapy. And, nevertheless, physical loads can save from depressions, reduce anxiety, relieve from professional burnout,...read more