- Genetic changes occur as random events during either the formation of gametes or early embryonic development.
- A segment of the maternal chromosome 15 containing the UBE3A gene is deleted (70% of cases).
- A 5-15% of causes caused by paternal uniparental disomy (child inherits both chromosomes 15 from the father).
- A 2-7% of cases due to imprinting mutation.
- Causes of the genetic changes are unknown.
- Wide mouth, wide spaced teeth.
- Abnormal protrusion of the jawbone.
- Hypopigmented tongue, light hair and eye color (as compared to family).
- Strabismus (crossed-eyes)
- Hand flapping movements.
- Aggressive behavior.
- Frequent drooling.
- Excessive chewing and mouthing behavior.
- Abnormal sleep wake cycles.
- Speech impairment.
- Short attention span.
- Problems with movement and balance.
- Developments delay.
- Alpha-thalassemia, retardation syndrome, X-linked (ATR-X).
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency (MTHFR).
- Gurrieri syndrome.
- Lennox-Gastaut syndrome
- Static encephalopathy
- Childhood autism
- Pervasive developmental disorder, not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS)
- Mitochondrial encephalopathy.
- Fluorescent In Situ hybridization (FISH) - The deletion of the chromosomal copy is detected through this procedure.
- Cytogenetic Testing - This is done to check any visible rearrangement of the chromosomal structure.
- DNA methylation Analysis - This is one of the most important and preliminary genetic tests conducted on an Angelman patient.
- Uniparental Disomy (UPD) - DNA samples from the patient as well as the parents are collected and used for polymorphism testing.
A new study from Oregon State University suggests that daily exposure to blue light, emitted from phones, computers, and other gadgets, may affect longevity damaging cells in the brain, as well as retinas. For the research, the scientists exposed flies to blue LED...
According to a new long-term study, which followed more than 900 people from New Zealand for around 40 years, people in their 40s who walk slowly are more likely to show symptoms of accelerated biological aging and compromised brain integrity. Within the scope of the...
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...