- Genetic changes occur as random events during either the formation of gametes or early embryonic development.
- A segment of the maternal chromosome 15 containing the UBE3A gene is deleted (70% of cases).
- A 5-15% of causes caused by paternal uniparental disomy (child inherits both chromosomes 15 from the father).
- A 2-7% of cases due to imprinting mutation.
- Causes of the genetic changes are unknown.
- Wide mouth, wide spaced teeth.
- Abnormal protrusion of the jawbone.
- Hypopigmented tongue, light hair and eye color (as compared to family).
- Strabismus (crossed-eyes)
- Hand flapping movements.
- Aggressive behavior.
- Frequent drooling.
- Excessive chewing and mouthing behavior.
- Abnormal sleep wake cycles.
- Speech impairment.
- Short attention span.
- Problems with movement and balance.
- Developments delay.
- Alpha-thalassemia, retardation syndrome, X-linked (ATR-X).
- Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency (MTHFR).
- Gurrieri syndrome.
- Lennox-Gastaut syndrome
- Static encephalopathy
- Childhood autism
- Pervasive developmental disorder, not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS)
- Mitochondrial encephalopathy.
- Fluorescent In Situ hybridization (FISH) - The deletion of the chromosomal copy is detected through this procedure.
- Cytogenetic Testing - This is done to check any visible rearrangement of the chromosomal structure.
- DNA methylation Analysis - This is one of the most important and preliminary genetic tests conducted on an Angelman patient.
- Uniparental Disomy (UPD) - DNA samples from the patient as well as the parents are collected and used for polymorphism testing.
A new research from the University of Edinburgh, UK, suggests that cheap cilostazol tablets may reduce damage to arteries, which lead to blood clots, resulting in strokes and cognitive decline. The researchers plan to assess the medications’ ability to cut the risk of...
A new study from the US discovers that flavonoids, natural compounds found in fruits and vegetables, may help preserve the lung function, which tends to decline with age. For the study, a team of researchers looked at data from 463 adults from Norway and England whose...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more