- Skin disorders: Common skin problems such as fistulas, fissures, psoriasis, eczema, allergic or contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, and hemorrhoids can involve and irritate the area in and around your anus.
- Yeast infections: This common infection, which usually affects women, can irritate your genital and anal areas.
- Infections: In children, the parasite that causes pinworms can cause persistent anal itching.
- Other causes may include: Hemorrhoids, anal abrasions, fistula, scabies, lice, fungus, and streptococcal skin infection.
- Too much moisture: Moisture around your anus from excessive sweating or from moist, sticky stools can be irritating and lead to anogenital pruritus.
- Dry skin: As you age, skin in and around your anus is more prone to dryness. Dry skin can cause a persistent, intense anal itching.
- Excessive washing: Excessive wiping with dry, harsh toilet paper or excessive scrubbing with harsh soaps and a washcloth can cause or aggravate anal itching.
- Chemical irritants: Certain laundry soaps, colognes, douches and birth control products contain chemicals that can irritate skin in and around your anus. Scented or colored toilet paper can be irritating to people with sensitive skin.
- Food irritants: Anogenital pruritus may be the result of irritating chemicals in some foods, such as those found in spices and hot sauces. Similarly, some foods may directly or indirectly irritate your anus as they exit your digestive system. Common culprits include chocolate, fruits, tomatoes, nuts and popcorn. Consuming certain beverages — possibly milk or caffeinated drinks — may cause some people to experience diarrhea followed by anogenital pruritus.
- Medications: Anogenital pruritus may be a side effect of certain medications, such as some antibiotics, that can cause frequent diarrhea.
- Overuse of laxatives: Excessive or improper use of laxatives can lead to chronic diarrhea and the risk of anal irritation and itch.
- Itching is worse at night.
- Itching is worse after a bowel movement.
- Anal burning sensation.
- Skin redness and swelling around the anus.
- Anoscopy (a scope is used to examine the anus and rectum
- Bacterial cultures.
- Gonorrhea testing.
- Chlamydia testing.
- Viral culture.
- Tape test for pinworms.
- Avoid laxatives.
- Avoid tight-fitting, synthetic clothing.
- Practice good hygiene.
- Avoid using anal performs, dyes, and any other irritants.
A new research from the University of Edinburgh, UK, suggests that cheap cilostazol tablets may reduce damage to arteries, which lead to blood clots, resulting in strokes and cognitive decline. The researchers plan to assess the medications’ ability to cut the risk of...
A new study from the US discovers that flavonoids, natural compounds found in fruits and vegetables, may help preserve the lung function, which tends to decline with age. For the study, a team of researchers looked at data from 463 adults from Norway and England whose...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more