Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury
- PCL (posterior cruciate ligament): Works with the anterior Cruciate Ligament. It prevents the tibia from sliding backwards under the femur.
- MCL (medial collateral ligament): Runs along the inner part (side) of the knee and prevents the knee from bending inward.
- LCL (lateral collateral ligament): Runs along the outer part (side) of the knee and prevents the knee from bending outward.
- Knee swelling within 6 hours of injury.
- Pain, especially when you try to put weight on the injured leg.
- Those who have only a mild injury may notice that the knee feels unstable or seems to "give way" when using it.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): An MRI can show the extent of an anterior Cruciate Ligament injury and whether other knee ligaments or joint cartilage also are injured.
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound may be used to check for injuries in the ligaments, tendons and muscles of the knee.
- Arthroscopy: During arthroscopy, your doctor inserts a narrow, fiber-optic viewing scope and other instruments into your knee through very small incisions. This allows your doctor to directly see the damage and, in many cases, perform repairs at the same time.
- Pain relievers such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Some people may need crutches to walk until the swelling and pain have improved.
- Your doctor may suggest physical therapy to help you regain joint motion and leg strength.
- Test the athlete's endurance.
- Test agility, trust and the ability to “accept a load.”
- Be safe. Failing the test should not put the knee at risk.
A new study from Oregon State University suggests that daily exposure to blue light, emitted from phones, computers, and other gadgets, may affect longevity damaging cells in the brain, as well as retinas. For the research, the scientists exposed flies to blue LED...
According to a new long-term study, which followed more than 900 people from New Zealand for around 40 years, people in their 40s who walk slowly are more likely to show symptoms of accelerated biological aging and compromised brain integrity. Within the scope of the...
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...