Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury
- PCL (posterior cruciate ligament): Works with the anterior Cruciate Ligament. It prevents the tibia from sliding backwards under the femur.
- MCL (medial collateral ligament): Runs along the inner part (side) of the knee and prevents the knee from bending inward.
- LCL (lateral collateral ligament): Runs along the outer part (side) of the knee and prevents the knee from bending outward.
- Knee swelling within 6 hours of injury.
- Pain, especially when you try to put weight on the injured leg.
- Those who have only a mild injury may notice that the knee feels unstable or seems to "give way" when using it.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): An MRI can show the extent of an anterior Cruciate Ligament injury and whether other knee ligaments or joint cartilage also are injured.
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound may be used to check for injuries in the ligaments, tendons and muscles of the knee.
- Arthroscopy: During arthroscopy, your doctor inserts a narrow, fiber-optic viewing scope and other instruments into your knee through very small incisions. This allows your doctor to directly see the damage and, in many cases, perform repairs at the same time.
- Pain relievers such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Some people may need crutches to walk until the swelling and pain have improved.
- Your doctor may suggest physical therapy to help you regain joint motion and leg strength.
- Test the athlete's endurance.
- Test agility, trust and the ability to “accept a load.”
- Be safe. Failing the test should not put the knee at risk.
A new study from the University of Granada, Spain, shows that contrary to the widespread belief, those who make self-deprecating jokes do not have low self-esteem, nor they are predisposed to depression. In fact, scientists suggest that this type of people may be...
Sometimes it is difficult to have a bowel movement. Bowel movements range is different for everyone. However, movements from three times per week up to three times per day are considered as healthy. There are some natural methods that can help a person poop. Below,...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more
Spring is not far off and very soon you will see many people riding a bike. It's worth to join them and now we will give you the 8 reasons why. Weight control Scientists of the University of Surrey (England) found that it's enough riding a bike for an hour, and, not...read more
We all want to get in shape and keep fit. But not everyone has time for visiting the gym. Give up the elevator. Give up lifts and climb the stairs. At work, at home, at the mall. This simple advice is a great benefit if you follow it daily. Climbing the stairs...read more