Bile duct stricture
- Itching (a common symptom).
- Yellow skin or eyes (from the buildup of bilirubin, a waste product).
- Weight loss.
- Night sweats.
- Loss of appetite.
- Light-colored stools.
- Bilirubin level is higher than normal.
- Lipase level.
- Urine bilirubin.
- Prothrombin time (PT).
- Endoscopic therapy: A bile duct stricture is commonly treated by placing a small stent (a hollow tube) within the bile duct to keep it open. This procedure can be performed at the time of diagnosis with miniaturized surgical instruments inserted through the ERCP endoscope. If the narrowing or stricture completely blocks the bile duct - and if it is amenable to dilation or enlargement - it can be widened first with a procedure called balloon dilation. A balloon on the tip of a catheter is passed through the ERCP endoscope and is inflated at the site of the stricture, enlarging the blocked duct. A stent, also passed through the ERCP endoscope, is then placed within the duct and opened.
- Percutaneous therapy: When an ERCP procedure is not the best option for the patient, a percutaneous (through the skin) procedure to dilate a stricture and place a stent can be done instead.
- Surgical therapy: Surgical treatment is recommended when endoscopic therapy is not successful or if the bile duct stricture cannot be treated by endoscopic or percutaneous means. During surgery, our liver, pancreas and biliary surgical team remove the stricture and connect the bile duct to the small intestine. This open surgical procedure is performed in the operating room under a general anesthetic.
According to the research, conducted by Rutgers University, US, coffee could fight both Parkinson's disease and a form of dementia called dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB). For the study, a team of scientists used a mice model including rodents with the risk of...
A new study, performed by the scientists from Aarhus University, Denmark, and the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia, discovers that newborn babies with vitamin D deficiency are at higher risk of developing schizophrenia later in life. For the study, the...
It is time for us to find the solution how to deal with extra weight which is coming with Christmas and New Year’s celebrations because 2018 is almost over and 2019 is getting closer. The main aim is obviously staying in shape and today will find an effective way to...read more
We know that moderate exercise strengthens our health and makes us more beautiful. But few know about the importance of doing sports as psychotherapy. And, nevertheless, physical loads can save from depressions, reduce anxiety, relieve from professional burnout,...read more
Factors such as age, gender, physical activity, genetics, medical history, body type, and others directly affect not only the desire to lose weight, but also to follow the right diet. Everything is relative, everything is individual. Nevertheless, there are universal...read more