- Continually avoiding situations that have brought on a previous anxiety attack; repeated avoidance may actually increase the chance of a claustrophobic attack and its severity.
- Accelerated heart rate.
- Fear of actual harm or illness.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) — an approach that involves learning to control the thoughts that occur when confronted with the fear-inducing situation in such a way as to change the reaction.
- Medications - such as tranquillizers and antidepressants. Drugs known as beta blockers may be used to treat the physical symptoms of anxiety, such as a pounding heart.
- Flooding - this is a form of exposure treatment, where the person is exposed to their phobic trigger until the anxiety attack passes. The realization that they have encountered their most dreaded object or situation, and come to no actual harm, can be a powerful form of therapy.
- Counter-conditioning - if the person is far too fearful to attempt flooding, then counter-conditioning can be an option. The person is taught to use specific relaxation and visualization techniques when experiencing phobia-related anxiety. The phobic trigger is slowly introduced, step-by-step, while the person concentrates on attaining physical and mental relaxation. Eventually, they can confront the source of their fear without feeling anxious. This is known as systematic desensitization.
- Modelling - the person watches other people confront the phobic trigger without fear and is encouraged to imitate that confidence.
New research, conducted by the scientists from King’s College London, UK, and China Medical University in Taichung, Taiwan, suggests that taking omega-3 supplements may help improve attention in some children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The...
A new study from the University at Buffalo, US, finds that insufficient sleep, less than 5 hours per night, can be harmful to bone health of postmenopausal women. For the study, a team of researchers analyzed health data from 11,084 postmenopausal women who...
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...