- There is a strong association with eating disorders - the condition occurring in approximately a third of patients with anorexia or bulimia.
- Onset or relapse of dermatitis artefacta is often precipitated by definable psychosocial stressors, varying according to age and life situations.
- Many patients also have an associated chronic medical or dermatological condition.
- Close supervision and symptomatic care of skin lesions will hopefully lead to a doctor-patient relationship in which psychological issues may gradually be introduced. Regularly review suicide and self-harm risk.
- Palliative dermatological measures such as occlusive bandages, ointments or placebo drugs, as well as admission to hospital that includes bathing and massaging by nurses, can have a therapeutic impact on the psychiatric problem by symbolizing the medical attention and care for which the dermatitis artefacta patient is craving. Improvement of lesions under protective dressings is supportive of the diagnosis.
- Antidepressants may be of value. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are often preferred although the tricyclic antidepressants may have some antipruritic effect and sedation can be beneficial. If the patient is motivated, cognitive and behavioral therapy (CBT) may be helpful as part of a package of care, although evidence is currently lacking. Atypical antipsychotics such as olanzapine may also be helpful. Inevitably, patients with different psychiatric illnesses require different approaches.
A new study from the Stevens School of Business in New Jersey, USA, finds that even coffee scent can sharpen the brain under certain conditions. In the study, 114 students were involved. The participants were divided into two group and both had to answer mathematical...
A large-scale review of clinical trials for the past 25 years confirms that walnuts are the great choice for people who want to support their cardiovascular health. The scientists reviewed 26 randomized studies with 1,059 participants in total whose age was from 22 to...
We all know that doing sports is very important, both for health and for a beautiful body. But at the moment when we decide to finally take the path, we are faced with the question: what kind of sport is right for me? So, let's start with the fact that a lot of people...read more
Pranayama is not just a complex of breathing exercises. It is a complex process, during which a person receives vital energy - prana from the air. Literally pranayama is translated as "stopping breathing". Hence the main goal of the whole breathing gymnastics is to be...read more
Experts often advise people as suitable trainings to climb stairs, rather than use the elevator. And here are 6 reasons why we should do this regularly. Classes on the treadmill or with the ellipsoid simulator in daily mode seem too boring. They can be replaced by a...read more