- There is a strong association with eating disorders - the condition occurring in approximately a third of patients with anorexia or bulimia.
- Onset or relapse of dermatitis artefacta is often precipitated by definable psychosocial stressors, varying according to age and life situations.
- Many patients also have an associated chronic medical or dermatological condition.
- Close supervision and symptomatic care of skin lesions will hopefully lead to a doctor-patient relationship in which psychological issues may gradually be introduced. Regularly review suicide and self-harm risk.
- Palliative dermatological measures such as occlusive bandages, ointments or placebo drugs, as well as admission to hospital that includes bathing and massaging by nurses, can have a therapeutic impact on the psychiatric problem by symbolizing the medical attention and care for which the dermatitis artefacta patient is craving. Improvement of lesions under protective dressings is supportive of the diagnosis.
- Antidepressants may be of value. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are often preferred although the tricyclic antidepressants may have some antipruritic effect and sedation can be beneficial. If the patient is motivated, cognitive and behavioral therapy (CBT) may be helpful as part of a package of care, although evidence is currently lacking. Atypical antipsychotics such as olanzapine may also be helpful. Inevitably, patients with different psychiatric illnesses require different approaches.
A new study from Brazilian scientists suggests that strength training may reduce liver fat and improve levels of blood sugar in people with obesity and diabetes. A team of researchers from the University of Campinas in São Paulo State, Brazil, conducted the study...
According to a large study from the United Kingdom, people with poor oral health, including sore or bleeding gums or loose teeth, are at 75% higher risk of developing liver cancer. For the study, a team of researchers analyzed data from 469,628 people, among whom...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...read more
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more
It is time for us to find the solution how to deal with extra weight which is coming with Christmas and New Year’s celebrations because 2018 is almost over and 2019 is getting closer. The main aim is obviously staying in shape and today will find an effective way to...read more