- Blood clots (of the splenic, portal, or hepatic veins).
- Arterial-portal venous fistula (abnormal connections between arteries and veins in the liver or spleen).
- Certain drugs (arsenic, azathioprine, methotrexate, and others).
- Certain infections (for instance, schistosomiasis, a parasite).
- Severe heart failure.
- Tumor in pancreas.
- Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
- Chronic vital hepatitis.
- NSAID use.
- Chronic hepatitis.
- Disorders of blood clotting.
- Certain parasitic infections.
- Endoscopy-a small, flexible tube attached to a light and camera is inserted into the mouth down into the esophagus and stomach to view the source of any bleeding and swollen vessel.
- Ultrasound -useful imaging modality to study blood flow in the portal system.
- If your esophageal variciform appear to have a very high risk of bleeding, your doctor may recommend a procedure called band ligation. Using an endoscope, the doctor snares the varices and wraps them with an elastic band, which essentially "strangles" the veins so they can't bleed. Esophageal band ligation carries a small risk of complications, such as scarring of the esophagus.
- Your doctor may also recommend a procedure called transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS). The shunt is a small tube that is placed between the portal vein and the hepatic vein, which carries blood from your liver back to your heart. By providing an additional path for blood, the shunt reduces pressure in the portal vein and often stops bleeding from esophageal variciform.
- Liver transplantation. Liver transplant is an option for people with severe liver disease or those who experience recurrent bleeding of esophageal variciform. Although liver transplantation is often successful, the number of people awaiting transplants far outnumbers the available organs.
Raised sensitivity to bitter tastes might be an indicator of higher risk of cancer in women, according to a new research, conducted by scientists at the College of Agriculture Sciences of Pennsylvania State University in State College (US) in association with a team...
A new study from the Stevens School of Business in New Jersey, USA, finds that even coffee scent can sharpen the brain under certain conditions. In the study, 114 students were involved. The participants were divided into two group and both had to answer mathematical...
We all know that doing sports is very important, both for health and for a beautiful body. But at the moment when we decide to finally take the path, we are faced with the question: what kind of sport is right for me? So, let's start with the fact that a lot of people...read more
Pranayama is not just a complex of breathing exercises. It is a complex process, during which a person receives vital energy - prana from the air. Literally pranayama is translated as "stopping breathing". Hence the main goal of the whole breathing gymnastics is to be...read more
Experts often advise people as suitable trainings to climb stairs, rather than use the elevator. And here are 6 reasons why we should do this regularly. Classes on the treadmill or with the ellipsoid simulator in daily mode seem too boring. They can be replaced by a...read more