- Belly pain.
- Herpes. Like Candida, this viral infection can develop in the esophagus when the body's immune system is weak. It is treatable with antiviral drugs.
- Medicines for osteoporosis, such as alendronate (Fosamax), ibandronate (Boniva), or risedronate (Actonel).
- Antibiotics, such as tetracycline or clindamycin.
- Other medicines, such as mycophenolate or quinidine.
- Vitamin and mineral supplements, such as vitamin C, iron, and potassium pills.
- Biopsy: During this test, a small sample of the esophageal tissue is removed and then sent to a laboratory to be examined under a microscope.
- Upper GI series (or barium swallow): During this procedure, x-rays are taken of the esophagus after drinking a barium solution. Barium coats the lining of the esophagus and shows up white on an x-ray. This characteristic enables doctors to view certain abnormalities of the esophagus.
- Stronger acid reducers, such as famotidine (Pepcid), ranitidine (Zantac), or omeprazole (Prilosec OTC).
- Antibiotics, antifungals, or antivirals to treat an infection.
- Pain medications that can be gargled or swallowed.
- Corticosteroid medication to reduce inflammation.
- Intravenous (by vein) nutrition to allow the esophagus to heal and to reduce the likelihood of malnourishment or dehydration.
- Endoscopy to remove any lodged pill fragments.
- Surgery to remove the damaged part of the esophagus.
- Avoid hard foods such as nuts, crackers, and raw vegetables.
- Avoid acidic foods and beverages such as tomatoes, oranges, grapefruits, and their juices. Instead, try imitation fruit drinks with vitamin C.
- Add more soft foods such as applesauce, cooked cereals, mashed potatoes, custards, puddings, and high protein shakes to your diet.
- Take small bites and chew food thoroughly.
- If swallowing becomes increasingly difficult, try tilting your head upward so the food flows to the back of the throat before swallowing.
- Drink liquids through a straw to make swallowing easier.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco.
- Ranitidine hydrochloride (Zantac).
- Cimetidine (Tagamet).
- Famotidine (Pepcid, Pepcidine).
- Gastrointestinal coating agents.
- Sucralfate (Carafate).
- Proton pump inhibitors.
- Omeprazole (Prilosec).
- Lansoprazole (Prevacid).
- Esomeprazole magnesium (Nexium).
- Rabeprazole (Aciphex).
- Pantoprazole (Protonix).
A new research from the University of Edinburgh, UK, suggests that cheap cilostazol tablets may reduce damage to arteries, which lead to blood clots, resulting in strokes and cognitive decline. The researchers plan to assess the medications’ ability to cut the risk of...
A new study from the US discovers that flavonoids, natural compounds found in fruits and vegetables, may help preserve the lung function, which tends to decline with age. For the study, a team of researchers looked at data from 463 adults from Norway and England whose...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more