- Bleeding from the gums.
- Bleeding (prolonged) from surgical procedures or tooth removal.
- Bloody stools.
- Easy bruising.
- Nosebleeds (epistaxis).
- Numbness of the hands or feet.
- Ulcers on the fingers or toes.
- The condition may even cause strokes in some people.
- Primary myelofibrosis.
- Myelodysplasia with del(5q).
- Refractory anaemia (with ring sideroblasts associated with marked thrombocytosis).
- Chronic myeloid leukemia.
- Chronic myelomonocytic leukemia.
- Atypical chronic myeloid leukaemia.
- Myelodysplastic syndrome/myeloproliferative neoplasm.
- Blood smear: A small amount of your blood is examined under a microscope to view the condition of your platelets, such as whether they're abnormally large or clumped together.
- Genetic testing: Special tests can determine whether you have chromosomal abnormalities that can cause a high platelet count and whether you have a JAK2 gene mutation.
- Other blood tests: Your doctor may check the level of iron in your blood or test for markers of inflammation.
- C-reactive protein (CRP).
- Fibrinogen level.
- Factor VIII procoagulant activity.
- Von Willebrand antigen level.
- Bone marrow biopsy: Your doctor takes a sample of solid bone marrow tissue through a needle for examination under a microscope. If you have ET, your bone marrow has a higher than normal number of the large cells that make platelets (megakaryocytes).
A recent Austrian study suggests that lack of vitamin D in people diagnosed with diabetes may triple the risk of early death. For their study, the researchers analyzed records of 78,581 diabetics of all ages that have been treated at the General Hospital of Vienna in...
A new study, published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s disease, suggests that regular exercise, 4–5 times per week, may slow down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease in people with buildups of beta-amyloid protein in the brain. The study included 70 participants aged...
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...