- Bleeding from the gums.
- Bleeding (prolonged) from surgical procedures or tooth removal.
- Bloody stools.
- Easy bruising.
- Nosebleeds (epistaxis).
- Numbness of the hands or feet.
- Ulcers on the fingers or toes.
- The condition may even cause strokes in some people.
- Primary myelofibrosis.
- Myelodysplasia with del(5q).
- Refractory anaemia (with ring sideroblasts associated with marked thrombocytosis).
- Chronic myeloid leukemia.
- Chronic myelomonocytic leukemia.
- Atypical chronic myeloid leukaemia.
- Myelodysplastic syndrome/myeloproliferative neoplasm.
- Blood smear: A small amount of your blood is examined under a microscope to view the condition of your platelets, such as whether they're abnormally large or clumped together.
- Genetic testing: Special tests can determine whether you have chromosomal abnormalities that can cause a high platelet count and whether you have a JAK2 gene mutation.
- Other blood tests: Your doctor may check the level of iron in your blood or test for markers of inflammation.
- C-reactive protein (CRP).
- Fibrinogen level.
- Factor VIII procoagulant activity.
- Von Willebrand antigen level.
- Bone marrow biopsy: Your doctor takes a sample of solid bone marrow tissue through a needle for examination under a microscope. If you have ET, your bone marrow has a higher than normal number of the large cells that make platelets (megakaryocytes).
A new study from the University of Granada, Spain, shows that contrary to the widespread belief, those who make self-deprecating jokes do not have low self-esteem, nor they are predisposed to depression. In fact, scientists suggest that this type of people may be...
Sometimes it is difficult to have a bowel movement. Bowel movements range is different for everyone. However, movements from three times per week up to three times per day are considered as healthy. There are some natural methods that can help a person poop. Below,...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more
Spring is not far off and very soon you will see many people riding a bike. It's worth to join them and now we will give you the 8 reasons why. Weight control Scientists of the University of Surrey (England) found that it's enough riding a bike for an hour, and, not...read more
We all want to get in shape and keep fit. But not everyone has time for visiting the gym. Give up the elevator. Give up lifts and climb the stairs. At work, at home, at the mall. This simple advice is a great benefit if you follow it daily. Climbing the stairs...read more