- Other recognised causes of Fanconi's syndrome are Wilson's disease (a genetically inherited condition of copper metabolism), Lowe Syndrome, Tyrosinemia (Type I), galactosemia, glycogen storage diseases, and fructose intolerance.
- Two forms, Dent's disease and Lowe syndrome, are X linked.
- Lead poisoning also leads to Fanconi Syndrome.
- Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance can also cause the condition.
- Kidney transplant.
- Light chain deposition disease.
- Multiple myeloma.
- Primary amyloidosis.
- Hypophosphatemic rickets (in children) and osteomalacia (in adults).
- Growth failure.
- Treat the underlying cause if present. Alkali and potassium for renal tubular acidosis (RTA), phosphate and calcitriol for phosphate wasting.
- Dehydration due to polyuria: prevent by ensuring adequate fluid intake; episodes of dehydration require either oral or intravenous fluid replacement.
- Metabolic acidosis due to the loss of bicarbonate: corrected by the administration of alkali - usually sodium bicarbonate.
- Thiazide diuretic: may be necessary to avoid volume expansion, which increases the excretion of bicarbonate by lowering the renal threshold. However, the diuretic increases potassium loss.
- Correction of metabolic acidosis is insufficient to treat bone disease, and phosphate and vitamin D supplementation is also required.
- Phosphate supplements.
- Vitamin D, given as 1, 25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 or 1a-hydroxyvitamin D3, as liver and/or renal hydroxylation may be impaired in patients with Fanconi's syndrome.
- Renal losses of glucose, amino acids, and uric acid are not usually symptomatic and do not require replacement.
- Effective management of any underlying metabolic disorder, e.g. galactosaemia, tyrosinemia.
According to a Spanish research, led by Dr. Victoria Moreno-Arribas from the Spanish National Research Council in Madrid, drinking red wine may protect teeth by destroying bacteria causing cavities and gum disease. The researchers completed an experiment where they...
Numerous studies conducted earlier showed that regular exercises have a positive effect on physical and mental health. The new work of American scientists confirms this. They believe that running five kilometers once a day is useful for the hippocampus (the brain...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more
Spring is not far off and very soon you will see many people riding a bike. It's worth to join them and now we will give you the 8 reasons why. Weight control Scientists of the University of Surrey (England) found that it's enough riding a bike for an hour, and, not...read more
We all want to get in shape and keep fit. But not everyone has time for visiting the gym. Give up the elevator. Give up lifts and climb the stairs. At work, at home, at the mall. This simple advice is a great benefit if you follow it daily. Climbing the stairs...read more