Fever: Description, Causes and Risk Factors:
A healthy person's body temperature fluctuates between 97°F (36.1°C) and 100°F (37.8°C), with the average being 98.6°F (37°C). A person is said to be having a fever if his/her temperature elevation over 100°F (37.8°C). This condition can indeed be scary, and any fever in an infant younger than 3 months is cause for major concern because of the risk of serious bacterial infections. But in general, in older children who do not look very distressed, fever is positive evidence of an active immune system, revved up and helping an array of immunological processes work more effectively.Fevers are primarily caused by viral or bacterial infections, such as pneumonia or influenza.
Risk factors may include:
- Allergic reactions.
- Autoimmune diseases.
- Trauma, such as breaking a bone.
- Excessive exposure to the sun.
- Intense exercise.
- Hormonal imbalances.
- Certain drugs.
- Damage to the hypothalamus.
How long this condition lasts and how high it may go depends on its cause, the age of the patient, and his or her overall health. Most fevers caused by infections appear suddenly and then go away as the immune system defeats the infectious agent. An infectious fever may also rise and fall throughout the day, reaching its peak in the late afternoon or early evening. A low-grade fever that lasts for several weeks is associated with autoimmune diseases such as lupus or with some cancers, particularly leukemia and lymphoma.
Symptoms of fever:The symptoms of fever mainly depend on what is causing it. Some common symptoms may include:
It is usually diagnosed using a thermometer. A patient's complete medical history and information about what he or she may have ingested, any recent trips taken, or possible exposures to illness help the physician make a diagnosis.
Blood tests can help to identify an infectious agent by detecting the presence of antibodies against it or providing samples for the growth of the organism in a culture. Blood tests can also provide the doctor with white blood cell counts.
Ultrasound tests, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) tests, or computed tomography (CT) scans may be ordered if the doctor cannot determine the cause of it.
Treatment is usually directed at whatever is causing the fever. Some steps that can help bring it down or comfort a person include the following:
- Acetaminophen or ibuprofen can help reduce a fever. Medicines should be taken under doctor supervision.
- It is important to drink fluids when you have a fever. It is important because fever causes considerable fluid loss through the skin and perspiration. Because it is difficult to measure fluid loss, it is good to drink 1 to 2 quarts of extra fluid each day that you have a fever.
- Wash your hands before eating.
- Wash your hands and face after coming from a crowd place, after visiting any patient.
- Wash fruits and vegetables before eating them.
- Avoid food products containing toxins.
- Avoid extra salt consumptions.
- Understand what your body can tolerate. Some people are sensitive to some elements and chemicals in the diet.
- Avoid food which your body can not tolerate.
- Drinking lot of water, green vegetable, and juice helps in cleaning of intestine.
- Regular dental cleaning will avoid entry of pathogens through mouth.
- Physical activity is important for balancing the body.
According to a recent study, conducted by researchers from University Hospital Muenster in Germany, physical fitness is associated with improved cognitive performance. For their study, the researchers took data from the Human Connectome Project, which included MRI...
A new study, conducted by researchers from Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, suggests that a healthy diet may protect the gut microbiome from being destroyed by antibiotics. For the purpose of the study the team treated three groups of mice with different...
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...