First heart sound S1
- Decrease in rate of LV pressure development. e.g.: Myxedema, cardiomyopathy, acute MI and MR.
- PR interval and velocity of valve closure. e.g.: Prolonged PR interval - first degree heart block.
- Mobility of the valve. e.g.: Severe calcification of the valve or reduced mobility of the valve - Long standing MS is associated with severe calcification of mitral valve and soft S1.
- Increased AV flow due to high cardiac output. e.g.: AV fistula and thyrotoxicosis.
- Increased AV flow due to left to right shunt. e.g.: atrial septal defect (ASD), patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) and other conditions.
- Prolonged AV flow due to stenosis. e.g.: Mitral stenosis (MS) and tricuspid stenosis (TS).
- Short PR interval (velocity of valve closure) - At short PR intervals, the mitral valve leaflets are maximally separated by atrial contraction. At the onset of LV systole, the mitral valve leaflets therefore close with a high velocity and with a large excursion resulting in loud S1.
- EKG: An EKG (electrocardiogram) is a simple test that detects and records the heart's electrical activity. An EKG shows how fast the heart is beating and its rhythm (steady or irregular). An EKG also records the strength and timing of electrical signals as they pass through each part of the heart.
A new study from the US suggests that middle-aged men who are able to do 40 push-ups and more in one session have lower risk of cardiovascular disease than men who can do fewer than 10 push-ups. For a retrospective longitudinal study from 2000 to 2010, 1,104...
Recent research from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, US, suggests that getting enough sleep at nights connected to the decreased risk of developing atherosclerosis, a condition in which plaque builds up on the inner walls of the arteries. For the study, a...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more
It is time for us to find the solution how to deal with extra weight which is coming with Christmas and New Year’s celebrations because 2018 is almost over and 2019 is getting closer. The main aim is obviously staying in shape and today will find an effective way to...read more
We know that moderate exercise strengthens our health and makes us more beautiful. But few know about the importance of doing sports as psychotherapy. And, nevertheless, physical loads can save from depressions, reduce anxiety, relieve from professional burnout,...read more