First heart sound S1
- Decrease in rate of LV pressure development. e.g.: Myxedema, cardiomyopathy, acute MI and MR.
- PR interval and velocity of valve closure. e.g.: Prolonged PR interval - first degree heart block.
- Mobility of the valve. e.g.: Severe calcification of the valve or reduced mobility of the valve - Long standing MS is associated with severe calcification of mitral valve and soft S1.
- Increased AV flow due to high cardiac output. e.g.: AV fistula and thyrotoxicosis.
- Increased AV flow due to left to right shunt. e.g.: atrial septal defect (ASD), patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) and other conditions.
- Prolonged AV flow due to stenosis. e.g.: Mitral stenosis (MS) and tricuspid stenosis (TS).
- Short PR interval (velocity of valve closure) - At short PR intervals, the mitral valve leaflets are maximally separated by atrial contraction. At the onset of LV systole, the mitral valve leaflets therefore close with a high velocity and with a large excursion resulting in loud S1.
- EKG: An EKG (electrocardiogram) is a simple test that detects and records the heart's electrical activity. An EKG shows how fast the heart is beating and its rhythm (steady or irregular). An EKG also records the strength and timing of electrical signals as they pass through each part of the heart.
It is well known that our overall health and wellbeing are totally dependable on what we eat. That is why a healthy diet plays a significant role in keeping the body healthy. Day after day, scientists all over the world make new discoveries proving that certain...
A new study finds that brain volumes of people who regularly eat vegetables, fruit, and fish are on average 2ml greater than brain volumes of those who often drink sugary beverages. A brain volume reduction of 3.6ml equals to one year of aging. For the study, the...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more