First heart sound S1
- Decrease in rate of LV pressure development. e.g.: Myxedema, cardiomyopathy, acute MI and MR.
- PR interval and velocity of valve closure. e.g.: Prolonged PR interval - first degree heart block.
- Mobility of the valve. e.g.: Severe calcification of the valve or reduced mobility of the valve - Long standing MS is associated with severe calcification of mitral valve and soft S1.
- Increased AV flow due to high cardiac output. e.g.: AV fistula and thyrotoxicosis.
- Increased AV flow due to left to right shunt. e.g.: atrial septal defect (ASD), patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) and other conditions.
- Prolonged AV flow due to stenosis. e.g.: Mitral stenosis (MS) and tricuspid stenosis (TS).
- Short PR interval (velocity of valve closure) - At short PR intervals, the mitral valve leaflets are maximally separated by atrial contraction. At the onset of LV systole, the mitral valve leaflets therefore close with a high velocity and with a large excursion resulting in loud S1.
- EKG: An EKG (electrocardiogram) is a simple test that detects and records the heart's electrical activity. An EKG shows how fast the heart is beating and its rhythm (steady or irregular). An EKG also records the strength and timing of electrical signals as they pass through each part of the heart.
Raised sensitivity to bitter tastes might be an indicator of higher risk of cancer in women, according to a new research, conducted by scientists at the College of Agriculture Sciences of Pennsylvania State University in State College (US) in association with a team...
A new study from the Stevens School of Business in New Jersey, USA, finds that even coffee scent can sharpen the brain under certain conditions. In the study, 114 students were involved. The participants were divided into two group and both had to answer mathematical...
We all know that doing sports is very important, both for health and for a beautiful body. But at the moment when we decide to finally take the path, we are faced with the question: what kind of sport is right for me? So, let's start with the fact that a lot of people...read more
Pranayama is not just a complex of breathing exercises. It is a complex process, during which a person receives vital energy - prana from the air. Literally pranayama is translated as "stopping breathing". Hence the main goal of the whole breathing gymnastics is to be...read more
Experts often advise people as suitable trainings to climb stairs, rather than use the elevator. And here are 6 reasons why we should do this regularly. Classes on the treadmill or with the ellipsoid simulator in daily mode seem too boring. They can be replaced by a...read more