- Glomerulonephritis, an inflammation of the glomeruli. About 7 to 15% of people with glomeruonephritis (inflammation) develop glomerulosclerosis (scarring).
- Reflux nephropathy (backward flow of the urine up to the kidney).
- Kidney-harming chemicals or medicines that damage the glomeruli.
- Heroin use.
- Inherited genetic problems.
- Reflux nephropathy (a condition in which urine flows backward from the bladder to the kidney).
- Sickle cell disease.
- Blood test: Your kidney function will be evaluated using the glomerular filtration rate (GFR). Your GFR number is calculated from a math equation that considers the results from a blood test that combines your blood creatinine level, your age, gender and race. People with glomerulosclerosis can have a low GFR, as their kidney damage progresses and kidney function decreases.
- Urine tests: Your doctors will order urine tests for protein or red blood cells. Having large amounts of protein appearing in the urine (proteinuria) is common in glomerulosclerosis. Blood in the urine is a warning sign of kidney disease.
- Biopsy: Having a low GFR and protein in the urine is not proof of glomerulosclerosis, though. Since these are associated with other kidney conditions, a kidney biopsy is needed to diagnose glomerulosclerosis. In this procedure, a needle is used to take a tiny sample of the kidney to examine with a microscope. The diagnosis is made from the signs of scarring seen on the kidney tissue sample.
- Glomerulosclerosis can cause nephrotic syndrome. Nephrotic syndrome means very high levels of protein in the urine, low blood protein levels, high cholesterol levels, and swelling.
- Your age, overall health, and medical history.
- Extent of the disease.
- Your tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies.
- Expectations for the course of the disease.
- Your opinion or preference.
It is well known that our overall health and wellbeing are totally dependable on what we eat. That is why a healthy diet plays a significant role in keeping the body healthy. Day after day, scientists all over the world make new discoveries proving that certain...
A new study finds that brain volumes of people who regularly eat vegetables, fruit, and fish are on average 2ml greater than brain volumes of those who often drink sugary beverages. A brain volume reduction of 3.6ml equals to one year of aging. For the study, the...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more