- Periapical (root-tip) gumboil - located at the apex of an infected tooth. A periapical gumboil is what we usually call tooth abscess. A periapical gumboil is a pocket of infection at the tip of a tooth's root, near the jawbone, as a result of an infection of dental pulp. If this tooth root infection goes untreated (the diseased tissue in the pulp is not removed) pus can begin to build up in the root of the tooth forming an abscess. The infection can spread to the bone surrounding the tip of the root.
- Periodontal gumboil - located in the periodontal ligament surrounding the tooth. A periodontal gumboil is what is usually called gum abscess. In this case, the infection comes from outside the tooth instead of from within. A periodontal gumboil is usually caused by an infection in the pocket between the teeth and gums. This may happen either when food particles get trapped between the gum and tooth or in cases of periodontal disease, when bacteria build up in deep pockets under the surface of the gums.
- A third, not so common, type is the pericoronal gumboil, which is related in most cases with the wisdom teeth. It is a kind of dental abscess that occurs when the flap of tissue covering a partially erupted tooth becomes inflamed and infected.
- Neglected tooth decay leads to periapical gumboil in which the bacteria reach the end of the root. This problem starts with a toothache, which is followed by the formation of a red and painful boil. Gradually the gumboil ripens and forms pus. It finally gets drained when a head is formed. In some cases the region below the tongue becomes tender and the lymph glands get enlarged.
- Thirdly, the cause of gumboil may be age related: A weakness in the tooth develops as it ages, such as a microscopic crack, which allows the infection to enter the tooth, or the gum withdrawing from the tooth, allowing a germ to enter more easily. Being aged also can mean a degraded immune system is more common.
- Swelling of mouth or face
- Mild to extreme pain.
- Bad breath
- Sensitivity to hot and cold.
- Swelling of glands.
- Ear ache.
Gumboil Diagnosis:A dentist can diagnose the gumboil in the following ways: Examining the tooth thoroughly.
- Reviewing the symptoms.
- Examining the x-ray.
- If the root canal treatment is not effective and the infection persists, apicectomy is performed. This involves the removal of the tip of the root and the infected tissue and then a filling is applied to seal the root end.
- Tooth removal is the last resort if the disinfection options do not work and bacterial infection is irreversible.
- Rinsing the mouth with saline water helps to reduce the pain.
- A mixture of common salt and baking soda in equal amounts is useful to get rid of gumboil infection. A cotton ball immersed in this mixture should be placed on the infected tooth and allowed to remain there for several hours. Repeat this process 3 or 4 times a day. This will trigger the drainage of the pus thus leading to the removal of infection.
- Another natural remedy involves the use of tea tree oil, which is known to have antiseptic properties. A few drops of this oil applied on to the infected area can bring immense relief to the discomfort caused by gumboils.
- A mixture of grape fruit seed extract in water and colloidal silver, used as a mouth wash can alleviate the pain and get rid of the infection.
- Dry tea bags or a piece of raw potato kept between the gum and cheek overnight or for long hours can help to drain the pus and reduce the pain and swelling.
- Chewing a garlic clove daily can help to remove the infection because garlic is known to have anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties. Garlic tablets and garlic powder are also available.
- Vitamin C capsules are helpful in strengthening the immune system and to aid in natural healing of the infection.
- A very effective home remedy is to apply a thick paste mixture of 3 tbsp (tablespoon) activated charcoal, tsp (teaspoon) clove oil, 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper powder, tsp olive oil and tsp golden seal (yellow root) powder or tincture, on to the affected area. This paste will burst open the gumboil. When the boil bursts open, it is recommended to wash the mouth with water and then with a 1.5% solution of hydrogen peroxide.
- Self treatment of gum boils can sometimes lead to severe infections in the mouth as well as other parts of the body. So before deciding to go for any type of treatment, the most important thing to do is to consult a dentist. The dentist can help to find out the root cause of the infection through examination or by taking an x-ray of the teeth. After a proper diagnosis is made, the required treatment option can be availed.
According to a Spanish research, led by Dr. Victoria Moreno-Arribas from the Spanish National Research Council in Madrid, drinking red wine may protect teeth by destroying bacteria causing cavities and gum disease. The researchers completed an experiment where they...
Numerous studies conducted earlier showed that regular exercises have a positive effect on physical and mental health. The new work of American scientists confirms this. They believe that running five kilometers once a day is useful for the hippocampus (the brain...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more
Spring is not far off and very soon you will see many people riding a bike. It's worth to join them and now we will give you the 8 reasons why. Weight control Scientists of the University of Surrey (England) found that it's enough riding a bike for an hour, and, not...read more
We all want to get in shape and keep fit. But not everyone has time for visiting the gym. Give up the elevator. Give up lifts and climb the stairs. At work, at home, at the mall. This simple advice is a great benefit if you follow it daily. Climbing the stairs...read more