Hematemesis - Causes and Risk Factors:Any bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract (GI tract) like esophagus, stomach, or intestine can lead to hematemesis.
- Bleeding peptic ulcer is the most common cause of hematemesis.
- Disorders of the blood vessels of the gastrointestinal system.
- Swallowing of coughed up blood or even a nosebleed may be another factor causing hematemesis.
- Pancreatic ulcer.
- Dieulafoy's lesion: This is caused by a large stomach arteriole (a small blood vessel that branches out from an artery leading to the smaller capillaries in the blood circulation) that erodes and bleeds. This can lead to a bleed in the stomach but is an uncommon condition.
- Cancer of the esophagus, stomach or upper intestine (benign and malignant).
- Acute liver failure and alcoholic hepatitis can lead to hematemesis.
- Cirrhosis of liver, a chronic condition which causes scarring of the liver cells.
- Stomach problems like gastritis (inflammation of the stomach) or gastric erosion (defects in the inner lining of the stomach).
- Esophageal disorders like esophageal varices (enlarged blood vessels around the esophagus) and esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus).
- Portal hypertension - a condition characterized by high blood pressure in the portal blood vessels supplying the liver.
- Excessive use of NSAID's (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
- Basic metabolic profile (BMP): The BMP is useful to evaluate for renal comorbidity; however, blood in the upper intestine can elevate the blood urea nitrogen (BUN) level as well.
- Measurement of coagulation parameters: This is necessary to assess for continued bleeding. Abnormalities should be corrected rapidly. Prothrombin time/activated partial thromboplastin time.
- Liver profile: The liver profile can identify hepatic comorbidity and suggest underlying liver disease.
- Calcium level: A calcium level is useful to identify the patient with hyperparathyroidism as well as to monitor calcium in patients receiving multiple transfusions of citrated blood.
- Gastrin level: A gastrin level can identify the rare patient with gastrinoma as the cause of UGIB and multiple ulcers.
- Barium contrast studies are not usually helpful and can make endoscopic procedures more difficult (i.e., white barium obscuring the view) and dangerous (i.e., risk of aspiration).
- CT scan and ultrasonography may be indicated to evaluate liver disease with cirrhosis, cholecystitis with hemorrhage, pancreatitis with pseudocyst and hemorrhage, aortoenteric fistula, and other unusual causes of upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage.
- Nuclear medicine scans may be useful to determine the area of active hemorrhage.
- An ECG should be ordered to exclude arrhythmia and cardiac disease, especially acute myocardial infarction due to hypotension.
- Performing a troponin test may be useful to identify patients with severe coronary ischemia or atypical myocardial infarction.
A new research from the University of Edinburgh, UK, suggests that cheap cilostazol tablets may reduce damage to arteries, which lead to blood clots, resulting in strokes and cognitive decline. The researchers plan to assess the medications’ ability to cut the risk of...
A new study from the US discovers that flavonoids, natural compounds found in fruits and vegetables, may help preserve the lung function, which tends to decline with age. For the study, a team of researchers looked at data from 463 adults from Norway and England whose...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more