Hematemesis - Causes and Risk Factors:Any bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract (GI tract) like esophagus, stomach, or intestine can lead to hematemesis.
- Bleeding peptic ulcer is the most common cause of hematemesis.
- Disorders of the blood vessels of the gastrointestinal system.
- Swallowing of coughed up blood or even a nosebleed may be another factor causing hematemesis.
- Pancreatic ulcer.
- Dieulafoy's lesion: This is caused by a large stomach arteriole (a small blood vessel that branches out from an artery leading to the smaller capillaries in the blood circulation) that erodes and bleeds. This can lead to a bleed in the stomach but is an uncommon condition.
- Cancer of the esophagus, stomach or upper intestine (benign and malignant).
- Acute liver failure and alcoholic hepatitis can lead to hematemesis.
- Cirrhosis of liver, a chronic condition which causes scarring of the liver cells.
- Stomach problems like gastritis (inflammation of the stomach) or gastric erosion (defects in the inner lining of the stomach).
- Esophageal disorders like esophageal varices (enlarged blood vessels around the esophagus) and esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus).
- Portal hypertension - a condition characterized by high blood pressure in the portal blood vessels supplying the liver.
- Excessive use of NSAID's (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
- Basic metabolic profile (BMP): The BMP is useful to evaluate for renal comorbidity; however, blood in the upper intestine can elevate the blood urea nitrogen (BUN) level as well.
- Measurement of coagulation parameters: This is necessary to assess for continued bleeding. Abnormalities should be corrected rapidly. Prothrombin time/activated partial thromboplastin time.
- Liver profile: The liver profile can identify hepatic comorbidity and suggest underlying liver disease.
- Calcium level: A calcium level is useful to identify the patient with hyperparathyroidism as well as to monitor calcium in patients receiving multiple transfusions of citrated blood.
- Gastrin level: A gastrin level can identify the rare patient with gastrinoma as the cause of UGIB and multiple ulcers.
- Barium contrast studies are not usually helpful and can make endoscopic procedures more difficult (i.e., white barium obscuring the view) and dangerous (i.e., risk of aspiration).
- CT scan and ultrasonography may be indicated to evaluate liver disease with cirrhosis, cholecystitis with hemorrhage, pancreatitis with pseudocyst and hemorrhage, aortoenteric fistula, and other unusual causes of upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage.
- Nuclear medicine scans may be useful to determine the area of active hemorrhage.
- An ECG should be ordered to exclude arrhythmia and cardiac disease, especially acute myocardial infarction due to hypotension.
- Performing a troponin test may be useful to identify patients with severe coronary ischemia or atypical myocardial infarction.
According to recent research from the Translational Genomics Research Institute, US, having a close relative with the Alzheimer’s disease may affect cognition and learning. During the study, the total amount of 59,571 participants completed online questionnaires...
According to a new observational study from France, consumption of sugary drinks, including 100% fruit juices, may increase the risk of cancer. A team of researchers analyzed data from 101,257 French adults whose median age was 42 from the NutriNet-Santé study to...
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...read more
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...read more
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more