Hematemesis - Causes and Risk Factors:Any bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract (GI tract) like esophagus, stomach, or intestine can lead to hematemesis.
- Bleeding peptic ulcer is the most common cause of hematemesis.
- Disorders of the blood vessels of the gastrointestinal system.
- Swallowing of coughed up blood or even a nosebleed may be another factor causing hematemesis.
- Pancreatic ulcer.
- Dieulafoy's lesion: This is caused by a large stomach arteriole (a small blood vessel that branches out from an artery leading to the smaller capillaries in the blood circulation) that erodes and bleeds. This can lead to a bleed in the stomach but is an uncommon condition.
- Cancer of the esophagus, stomach or upper intestine (benign and malignant).
- Acute liver failure and alcoholic hepatitis can lead to hematemesis.
- Cirrhosis of liver, a chronic condition which causes scarring of the liver cells.
- Stomach problems like gastritis (inflammation of the stomach) or gastric erosion (defects in the inner lining of the stomach).
- Esophageal disorders like esophageal varices (enlarged blood vessels around the esophagus) and esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus).
- Portal hypertension - a condition characterized by high blood pressure in the portal blood vessels supplying the liver.
- Excessive use of NSAID's (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
- Basic metabolic profile (BMP): The BMP is useful to evaluate for renal comorbidity; however, blood in the upper intestine can elevate the blood urea nitrogen (BUN) level as well.
- Measurement of coagulation parameters: This is necessary to assess for continued bleeding. Abnormalities should be corrected rapidly. Prothrombin time/activated partial thromboplastin time.
- Liver profile: The liver profile can identify hepatic comorbidity and suggest underlying liver disease.
- Calcium level: A calcium level is useful to identify the patient with hyperparathyroidism as well as to monitor calcium in patients receiving multiple transfusions of citrated blood.
- Gastrin level: A gastrin level can identify the rare patient with gastrinoma as the cause of UGIB and multiple ulcers.
- Barium contrast studies are not usually helpful and can make endoscopic procedures more difficult (i.e., white barium obscuring the view) and dangerous (i.e., risk of aspiration).
- CT scan and ultrasonography may be indicated to evaluate liver disease with cirrhosis, cholecystitis with hemorrhage, pancreatitis with pseudocyst and hemorrhage, aortoenteric fistula, and other unusual causes of upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage.
- Nuclear medicine scans may be useful to determine the area of active hemorrhage.
- An ECG should be ordered to exclude arrhythmia and cardiac disease, especially acute myocardial infarction due to hypotension.
- Performing a troponin test may be useful to identify patients with severe coronary ischemia or atypical myocardial infarction.
Scientists from the Check Republic discovered the evidence that ticks may prefer attacking people with a certain blood type. Tick, the blood-sucking parasites, can carry various bacteria, including bugs that cause the Lyme disease. In the course of study, the...
A team of scientists from the Swinburne University of Technology in Australia finds that cinnamon may help in treating resistant bacterial infections breaking up their biofilms — sticky layers that are usually responsible for persistent infections that cannot be...
We all know that doing sports is very important, both for health and for a beautiful body. But at the moment when we decide to finally take the path, we are faced with the question: what kind of sport is right for me? So, let's start with the fact that a lot of people...read more
Pranayama is not just a complex of breathing exercises. It is a complex process, during which a person receives vital energy - prana from the air. Literally pranayama is translated as "stopping breathing". Hence the main goal of the whole breathing gymnastics is to be...read more
Experts often advise people as suitable trainings to climb stairs, rather than use the elevator. And here are 6 reasons why we should do this regularly. Classes on the treadmill or with the ellipsoid simulator in daily mode seem too boring. They can be replaced by a...read more