Hematemesis - Causes and Risk Factors:Any bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract (GI tract) like esophagus, stomach, or intestine can lead to hematemesis.
- Bleeding peptic ulcer is the most common cause of hematemesis.
- Disorders of the blood vessels of the gastrointestinal system.
- Swallowing of coughed up blood or even a nosebleed may be another factor causing hematemesis.
- Pancreatic ulcer.
- Dieulafoy's lesion: This is caused by a large stomach arteriole (a small blood vessel that branches out from an artery leading to the smaller capillaries in the blood circulation) that erodes and bleeds. This can lead to a bleed in the stomach but is an uncommon condition.
- Cancer of the esophagus, stomach or upper intestine (benign and malignant).
- Acute liver failure and alcoholic hepatitis can lead to hematemesis.
- Cirrhosis of liver, a chronic condition which causes scarring of the liver cells.
- Stomach problems like gastritis (inflammation of the stomach) or gastric erosion (defects in the inner lining of the stomach).
- Esophageal disorders like esophageal varices (enlarged blood vessels around the esophagus) and esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus).
- Portal hypertension - a condition characterized by high blood pressure in the portal blood vessels supplying the liver.
- Excessive use of NSAID's (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs).
- Basic metabolic profile (BMP): The BMP is useful to evaluate for renal comorbidity; however, blood in the upper intestine can elevate the blood urea nitrogen (BUN) level as well.
- Measurement of coagulation parameters: This is necessary to assess for continued bleeding. Abnormalities should be corrected rapidly. Prothrombin time/activated partial thromboplastin time.
- Liver profile: The liver profile can identify hepatic comorbidity and suggest underlying liver disease.
- Calcium level: A calcium level is useful to identify the patient with hyperparathyroidism as well as to monitor calcium in patients receiving multiple transfusions of citrated blood.
- Gastrin level: A gastrin level can identify the rare patient with gastrinoma as the cause of UGIB and multiple ulcers.
- Barium contrast studies are not usually helpful and can make endoscopic procedures more difficult (i.e., white barium obscuring the view) and dangerous (i.e., risk of aspiration).
- CT scan and ultrasonography may be indicated to evaluate liver disease with cirrhosis, cholecystitis with hemorrhage, pancreatitis with pseudocyst and hemorrhage, aortoenteric fistula, and other unusual causes of upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage.
- Nuclear medicine scans may be useful to determine the area of active hemorrhage.
- An ECG should be ordered to exclude arrhythmia and cardiac disease, especially acute myocardial infarction due to hypotension.
- Performing a troponin test may be useful to identify patients with severe coronary ischemia or atypical myocardial infarction.
According to a Spanish research, led by Dr. Victoria Moreno-Arribas from the Spanish National Research Council in Madrid, drinking red wine may protect teeth by destroying bacteria causing cavities and gum disease. The researchers completed an experiment where they...
Numerous studies conducted earlier showed that regular exercises have a positive effect on physical and mental health. The new work of American scientists confirms this. They believe that running five kilometers once a day is useful for the hippocampus (the brain...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more
Spring is not far off and very soon you will see many people riding a bike. It's worth to join them and now we will give you the 8 reasons why. Weight control Scientists of the University of Surrey (England) found that it's enough riding a bike for an hour, and, not...read more
We all want to get in shape and keep fit. But not everyone has time for visiting the gym. Give up the elevator. Give up lifts and climb the stairs. At work, at home, at the mall. This simple advice is a great benefit if you follow it daily. Climbing the stairs...read more