- In systemic hematological diseases, the liver is usually involved in extramedullary hematopoiesis. This can result in hepatomegaly. Diffuse hepatomegaly is also expected to occur as a result of malignant cell growth.
- Endothelia and Kupffer cells can be stimulated to considerable proliferation, so that in clinical terms hepatomegaly occasionally results.
- Proliferation of smooth endoplasmic reticulum due to the prolonged induction of the biotransformatory system localized at this site as a result of toxins, chemicals can bring about clinically and sonographically detectable hepatomegaly.
- Hepatocellular storage of abnormal quantities of cholesterol, fat, glycogen, proteins, mucopolysaccharides, copper, iron, etc occasionally leads to pronounced hepatomegaly. Hydropic swelling of the hepatocytes is also included in this category.
- A disorder of the bile flow, particularly in infants leads to extensive hepatomegaly.
- An increase in the extracellular matrix due to collagens, elastin, proteoglycans, glycoprotein, etc also produces various degrees of hepatomegaly.
- Hepatitis caused by a virus — including hepatitis A, B and C — or caused by infectious mononucleosis.
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Alcoholic fatty liver disease.
- A disorder that causes abnormal protein to accumulate in your liver (amyloidosis).
- A disorder that causes copper to accumulate in your liver (Wilson's disease).
- A disorder that causes iron to accumulate in your liver (hemochromatosis).
- A disorder that causes fatty substances to accumulate in your liver (Gaucher disease)
- Fluid-filled pockets in the liver (liver cysts).
- Non-cancerous liver tumors, including hemangioma and adenoma.
- Obstruction of the gallbladder or bile ducts.
- Toxic hepatitis.
- Liver cancer.
- Blockage of the veins that drain the liver (Budd-Chiari syndrome).
- Heart failure.
- Pericarditis (inflammation of the tissue surrounding the heart).
- Take vitamin supplements only as directed, and always discuss them with your doctor.
- Upper abdominal pain, usually right upper abdominal pain.
- Right side flank pain.
- Shaking and chills.
- Yellow skin.
- Yellow eyes.
- Brown urine.
- Clay colored stool.
- Abdominal ultrasound (may be done to confirm the condition if the doctor thinks your liver feels enlarged during a physical exam).
- CT scan of the abdomen.
- Liver function tests (LFTs), including blood clotting tests.
- MRI scan of the abdomen.
A new research from the University of Edinburgh, UK, suggests that cheap cilostazol tablets may reduce damage to arteries, which lead to blood clots, resulting in strokes and cognitive decline. The researchers plan to assess the medications’ ability to cut the risk of...
A new study from the US discovers that flavonoids, natural compounds found in fruits and vegetables, may help preserve the lung function, which tends to decline with age. For the study, a team of researchers looked at data from 463 adults from Norway and England whose...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more