Developmental dysplasia of the hip
- The legs are different lengths.
- Your child may lean to the affected side when standing.
- Their leg may turn outward on the affected side.
- The skin folds may be uneven on their bottom.
- Hip spicas: A hip spica is a plaster cast that covers their body from the knees to the waist. Hip spicas may need to be worn for a number of months. Children may then need to wear different splints or braces to make sure the hip joint remains stable and in the right position.
- Closed reduction procedure: If splinting does not work, your child may need a procedure called a 'closed reduction'. The hip joint is moved into the correct position while your child is asleep under anesthetic. Children then need to wear a 'hip spica' plaster cast to keep the hip in the right position.
- Open reduction' surgery: Sometimes, when the above treatments do not work or DDH is diagnosed late, your child may need what is called an 'open reduction'. The hip joint is moved into the correct position while your child is asleep under anesthetic. The hip joint is made more stable by surgery to the surrounding tendons. This is done through a small cut in the groin. Children then need to wear a 'hip spica' to keep the hip in the right position.
According to a recent analysis of existing studies in the UK, single, divorced and widowed people have higher chances to develop heart disease and stroke. That’s why the authors of the study believe that being married can be another factor that cuts the risk of...
All of us at least once in life overate – you’re appearing at a birthday party with the intention not to eat too much but then something goes completely wrong. Give a look at what’s happening to your body when you overeat. Maybe this will help you to stop eating at...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
- Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
- Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more