- Novel impulse generators develop at various sites, and these are not stimulus-dependent.
- In peripheral nerve, it has been shown that ectopic impulse generation (EIG) develops as a result of the expression of abnormal sodium channels. This can be modified by neurotrophic growth factors (a potential target for new treatments).
- Abnormal chemical sensitivities develop in damaged primary sensory neurons, notably to catecholamines. Whilst this can be readily demonstrated in experimental preparations, the clinical relevance remains uncertain.
- Degenerative and then regenerative changes in the spinal cord may lead to aberrant connectivity, and possibly a permanently reorganised, irreversible state.
- Damage at one level in the nervous system may lead to secondary pathophysiological changes at more rostral levels. This has important implications when targeting treatments for hyperpathia.
A new study, published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, finds that a hot bath may help reduce inflammation and improve metabolism. As a part of an experiment, each study participant took a hot bath with water temperature 102°F (39°C) for one hour. The researchers...
New research, executed by scientists from Iowa State University, finds that lifting weights for less than an hour once a week may lower the risk of heart attack or stroke by 40–70%. The researchers also add that performing weight exercises for more than an hour...
Factors such as age, gender, physical activity, genetics, medical history, body type, and others directly affect not only the desire to lose weight, but also to follow the right diet. Everything is relative, everything is individual. Nevertheless, there are universal...read more
It is very entertaining to be a sport fan. There is a big variety of sport games that are extremely interesting to follow. Moreover, it is always fun to anticipate the score and watch the enthusiasm live. One of the benefits of being sports fan is using different...read more
A new study of nearly 18,000 participants found that those with high fitness at middle age were significantly less likely to die from heart disease in later life, even if they were diagnosed with depression. Doctor's Tips: How to Stay Fit While Treating Depression Dr....read more