- Various types of physical trauma may cause a temporary it in the affected area. Repeat trauma or irritation may cause localized change from vellus to terminal hairs. In addition, prolonged occlusion of a limb by a cast can also generate hypertrichosis in the limb. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy has also been associated with localized it.
- Congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa refers to a condition in which hypertrichosis occurs as a generalized and confluent presentation of hair across the body except in regions where hair is not normally found at all (glans penis, labia minora, lips, tips of fingers, palms and soles). The hair is usually silvery gray to blond in color and grows away from the midline. The condition may be associated with dental problems, infantile genatalia, and growth and mental retardation but in most cases does not carry these associations. A subtype of congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa include Ambras syndrome (or it universalis congenita) in which there is persistent, confluent long hair (4 to 10 inches in length) especially over the shoulders and face. Unusual facial features may be present under the long hair, and accessory nipples may also be found. Another type of congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa is found in a Mexican family (congenital generalized hypertrichosis) in which the abnormal hair is much shorter than in Ambras syndrome and curly versus straight. Females tend to show a patchy hypertrichosis compared with men who have a more confluent presentation.
- Acquired generalized hypertrichosis may rarely be derived from lanugo hair but more commonly vellus hair. In 1865, Turner first noted the association between lanugo hypertrichosis and malignancy (acquired hypertrichosis lanuginosa or “malignant down”), which can be a late manifestation of widely disseminated cancer. Occasionally, the abnormal lanugo hair may be the presenting sign of cancer and predate the diagnosis of cancer even by several years. Many cases of acquired hypertrichosis lanuginosa have been associated with tongue abnormalities like a burning or painful tongue, thickened papillae, abnormal pigmentation, and deep furrows. When tongue findings are seen to accompany generalized lanugo hair, an active investigation into the possibility of cancer should be undertaken. Unlike in many congenital syndromes, the hair is pale or colorless without significant length (in most cases). Regression of this abnormal lanugo hair has been seen in patients following surgical removal of cancer.
- Drugs have also been associated with hypertrichosis.
- Anterior cervical hypertrichosis describes excessive hair that occurs over the adam's apple of the neck usually between birth to 3 years of age and can be associated with Turner's syndrome.
- Depilation involves a painless chemical dissolution of hair by leaving a chemical depilatory on the skin for 3 to 15 minutes and wiping the jelly-like mass of dissolved hair off with a spatula. The main drawback is the potential for an irritant dermatitis, which can be particularly acute in the area around the mouth. Depilatories should not be used more often than every other day owing to the potential for irritation, and the area should be thoroughly rinsed and topical emollients or 1% hydrocortisone cream applied to minimize irritation further.
- Electrolysis can offer a permanent form of epilation. Use of galvanic current directed at the hair follicle produces NaOH and H2 gas with the NaOH causing destruction to the hair follicle. The damaged hair is then easily extracted from the follicular tract with forceps. Regrowth has been noted to be between 15 to 50% depending on the quality of the technician and equipment.
- Laser hair removal is undertaken using a wavelength that targets the pigment in the hair shaft while minimizing damage to the surrounding skin pigment. The ideal laser should have a pulse duration that can be between the thermal relaxation time (TRT) of the skin and the TRT of the hair follicle. The ruby laser (694 nm), the alexandrite laser (755 nm), and the semiconductor diode laser (800 nm) are used to target the melanin, whereas the Nd:YAG laser targets a topically applied preparation.
- The FDA has approved laser hair removal devices to provide “permanent hair reduction,” meaning the lasting reduction of treated hairs for a period greater than one complete hair cycle. With the ruby and diode lasers, most of the damage occurs at the level of the bulge and less at the bulb/dermal papilla of the hair follicle. The laser hair removal device provides hair reduction via both reductions in the number of terminal hairs and the conversion of terminal hairs into vellus hairs.
Researchers from Harvard University find the right amount of fruit and vegetable for long and healthy life – it is the combination of two servings of fruit and three servings of vegetables daily. For the study, a team of researchers analyzed 26 studies that included...
A new international study, conducted by researchers from the U.S and the U.K., suggests that eating a diet high in sugar fructose may cause inflammation of the immune system. In their study, the scientists discovered that fructose sugars cause the immune system to...
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. Kangoo...