- Various types of physical trauma may cause a temporary it in the affected area. Repeat trauma or irritation may cause localized change from vellus to terminal hairs. In addition, prolonged occlusion of a limb by a cast can also generate hypertrichosis in the limb. Reflex sympathetic dystrophy has also been associated with localized it.
- Congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa refers to a condition in which hypertrichosis occurs as a generalized and confluent presentation of hair across the body except in regions where hair is not normally found at all (glans penis, labia minora, lips, tips of fingers, palms and soles). The hair is usually silvery gray to blond in color and grows away from the midline. The condition may be associated with dental problems, infantile genatalia, and growth and mental retardation but in most cases does not carry these associations. A subtype of congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa include Ambras syndrome (or it universalis congenita) in which there is persistent, confluent long hair (4 to 10 inches in length) especially over the shoulders and face. Unusual facial features may be present under the long hair, and accessory nipples may also be found. Another type of congenital hypertrichosis lanuginosa is found in a Mexican family (congenital generalized hypertrichosis) in which the abnormal hair is much shorter than in Ambras syndrome and curly versus straight. Females tend to show a patchy hypertrichosis compared with men who have a more confluent presentation.
- Acquired generalized hypertrichosis may rarely be derived from lanugo hair but more commonly vellus hair. In 1865, Turner first noted the association between lanugo hypertrichosis and malignancy (acquired hypertrichosis lanuginosa or “malignant down”), which can be a late manifestation of widely disseminated cancer. Occasionally, the abnormal lanugo hair may be the presenting sign of cancer and predate the diagnosis of cancer even by several years. Many cases of acquired hypertrichosis lanuginosa have been associated with tongue abnormalities like a burning or painful tongue, thickened papillae, abnormal pigmentation, and deep furrows. When tongue findings are seen to accompany generalized lanugo hair, an active investigation into the possibility of cancer should be undertaken. Unlike in many congenital syndromes, the hair is pale or colorless without significant length (in most cases). Regression of this abnormal lanugo hair has been seen in patients following surgical removal of the cancer.
- Drugs have also been associated with hypertrichosis.
- Anterior cervical hypertrichosis describes excessive hair that occurs over the adam's apple of the neck usually between birth to 3 years of age and can be associated with Turner's syndrome.
- Depilation involves a painless chemical dissolution of hair by leaving a chemical depilatory on the skin for 3 to 15 minutes and wiping the jelly-like mass of dissolved hair off with a spatula. The main drawback is the potential for an irritant dermatitis, which can be particularly acute in the area around the mouth. Depilatories should not be used more often than every other day owing to the potential for irritation, and the area should be thoroughly rinsed and topical emollients or 1% hydrocortisone cream applied to minimize irritation further.
- Electrolysis can offer a permanent form of epilation. Use of galvanic current directed at the hair follicle produces NaOH and H2 gas with the NaOH causing destruction to the hair follicle. The damaged hair is then easily extracted from the follicular tract with forceps. Regrowth has been noted to be between 15 to 50% depending on the quality of the technician and equipment.
- Laser hair removal is undertaken using a wavelength that targets the pigment in the hair shaft while minimizing damage to the surrounding skin pigment. The ideal laser should have a pulse duration that can be between the thermal relaxation time (TRT) of the skin and the TRT of the hair follicle. The ruby laser (694 nm), the alexandrite laser (755 nm), and the semiconductor diode laser (800 nm) are used to target the melanin, whereas the Nd:YAG laser targets a topically applied preparation.
- The FDA has approved laser hair removal devices to provide “permanent hair reduction,” meaning the lasting reduction of treated hairs for a period greater than one complete hair cycle. With the ruby and diode lasers, most of the damage occurs at the level of the bulge and less at the bulb/dermal papilla of the hair follicle. The laser hair removal device provides hair reduction via both reduction in the number of terminal hairs and the conversion of terminal hairs into vellus hairs.
According to a recent study, published in The Journal of Physiology, exercising four to five times per week may help stop the main arteries to the heart from stiffening up. The researchers from the US have found that those who exercise four to five times per week had...
A new study from Brazil suggests that trendy intermittent fasting may be the reason for increasing insulin levels and the amount of abdominal fat. It also may lead to the damage of pancreatic cells. Intermittent fasting diet is a diet when a dieting person has “fast”...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more