- Increased heart rate placinggreater demand on the heart.
- Decreased volume of blood to thelungs, causing less oxygen to getto all the organs and tissues.
- Sluggish circulation.
- Clots in the veins, can be lifethreatening.
- Reduced efficiency of the kidneyswith increased urine output.
- Edema (swelling) in legs, hands, oroverall.
- Diarrhea from impactions.
- Decreased muscle fiber andmuscle wasting.
- Strength can decrease by 50% assoon as 3 weeks after inactivity.
- Muscle contractures causingdisfiguring and loss of motion andabilities.
- Loss of muscle strength andmuscle tone.
- Balance loss when postureschange causing an increase in fallrisks.
- Infections in urinary tract.
- Urine output is reduced, andstones can develop.
- Behavioral changes suchwithdrawing from friends andfavored activities, hostility, confusion, and belligerence.
- Decreased intellectual capability.
- Decrease in ability to cope.
- Changes in sleeping patterns.
- Changes in vision.
- Changes in pain perception.
- Changes in coordination.
- Lungs are not used to full capability.
- This can cause pooling of fluids inthe lungs that can cause coughing,accumulation of phlegm and canlead to pneumonia.
- Infections in lungs.
- Skin quality declines.
- Pressure sores can occur.
- It is important to encourage the elderly to remain active and if possible propose that they join senior citizen clubs. They should also be allowed to continue or to participate in everyday activities at their own pace.
- Families should avoid overprotecting them.
- Doctors should periodically evaluate the functional abilities of the elderly, as well as those who have been recently discharged from hospital.
- Recommended exercise for the elderly should include periodic reviews of their physical state of health and individual adjustments to the type of exercise and activities they can engage in.
- It is also important to establish certain minimum activity objectives depending on functional ability and to teach correct techniques. The motivation of the elderly should also be assessed, as well as their capacity for enjoyment, the major factor determining whether they will continue to exercise.
- For bed-bound cases, maintain proper body alignment and change positions every few hours. Pressure padding and heel protectors may be used to provide comfort and prevent pressure sores.
According to a recent study, published in The Journal of Physiology, exercising four to five times per week may help stop the main arteries to the heart from stiffening up. The researchers from the US have found that those who exercise four to five times per week had...
A new study from Brazil suggests that trendy intermittent fasting may be the reason for increasing insulin levels and the amount of abdominal fat. It also may lead to the damage of pancreatic cells. Intermittent fasting diet is a diet when a dieting person has “fast”...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more