Iron deficiency anemia
- Chicken and turkey.
- Dried lentils, peas, and beans.
- Eggs (yolk).
- Meats (liver is the highest source).
- Peanut butter.
- Whole-grain bread.
- Raisins, prunes, and apricots.
- Spinach, kale, and other greens.
- Blood loss from the gastrointestinal tract is the most common cause of iron deficiency anaemia (IDA) in adult men and postmenopausal women.
- Blood loss due to menorrhagia is the most common cause of iron deficiency in premenopausal women.
- In other countries, infestation of the gut may cause IDA, especially with hookworm and schistosomiasis.
- Other gastrointestinal tract malignancies.
- Bleeding esophageal varices.
- Inflammatory bowel disease.
- Esophagitis and gastroesophageal reflux disease.
- Postpartum hemorrhage.
- Recurrent epistaxis.
- Malignancy of the renal tract.
- After major surgery or major trauma, if replacement has been inadequate.
- After blood donation.
- Pale complexion.
- The normally red lining of the mouth and eyelids fades in color.
- Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia).
- Abnormal menstruation (either absence of periods or increased bleeding)
- Spoon-shaped finger nails and toenails.
- Hematocrit and hemoglobin (red blood cell measures).
- RBC indices.
- Iron binding capacity (TIBC) in the blood.
- Serum ferritin.
- Serum iron level.
- Zinc protoporphyrin (ZPP).
- Free erythrocyte protoporphyrin (FEP)
- Reticulocyte hemoglobin content (CHr).
- Bone marrow exam (rare).
- Examine the abdomen for abdominal masses, organomegaly, lymphadenopathy and any other features of intra-abdominal disease.
- Perform a rectal examination to look for signs of bleeding, melena and masses.
- If menorrhagia is thought to be the cause: perform a vaginal/bimanual examination, examine the cervix and perform a cervical smear and swabs as appropriate.
- Your age, overall health, and medical history.
- Your tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies.
A new research from the University of Edinburgh, UK, suggests that cheap cilostazol tablets may reduce damage to arteries, which lead to blood clots, resulting in strokes and cognitive decline. The researchers plan to assess the medications’ ability to cut the risk of...
A new study from the US discovers that flavonoids, natural compounds found in fruits and vegetables, may help preserve the lung function, which tends to decline with age. For the study, a team of researchers looked at data from 463 adults from Norway and England whose...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more