- Having osteoarthritis or engaging in high-risk sports that involve rapid cut-and-run movements of the knee, football or tennis for example, means an individual is more likely to develop knee effusion.
- In overweight or obese individuals the body places more weight on the knee joint. This causes more wear in the joint. Over time, the body will produce excess joint fluid.
- MRI: An MRI detects abnormalities of the bone or knee joint, such as a tear in the ligaments, tendons or cartilage.
- Arthrocentesis. The knee is prepared in sterile fashion and anesthetized with local anesthetic to facilitate the use of a large-bore needle. The choice of the site of aspiration is a matter of operator preference. Accepted locations include the level of the joint line, 1 cm medial or lateral to the patellar tendon, with the patient seated. Alternatively, a location 2 cm medial or lateral to the anterior-superior patella can be used, with the patient supine. An 18-gauge needle is needed for aspiration of the viscous or bloody fluid.The fluid obtained from arthrocentesis should be sent for analysis.
- Ice: Applying ice or a frozen package of peas on your knee can help you overcome the symptoms of knee effusion. The cold temperature helps minimize the swelling and relieves the pain that often accompanies the condition. You should place the bag of ice over the injured or swollen area of your knee for 20-minute periods, and repeat the icing sessions frequently throughout each day.
- Medications: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that can help treat the symptoms of knee effusion include Advil, Tylenol, ibuprofen, Aleve, or aspirin. Your doctor can also prescribe you more powerful medications, depending on the severity of your condition. Additionally, your doctor can provide corticosteroid injections directly onto the affected area.
- Surgery: If you are suffering from severe knee effusion with extreme symptoms or if your injury keeps recurring, you can have a doctor perform surgery to provide treatment for your knee. Several different types of surgical procedures help reduce or eliminate the symptoms of knee effusion, and your doctor can determine which procedure is most effective for your condition. Possible surgical procedures to treat knee effusion include arthroscopy, joint aspiration and knee replacement surgeries.
A new research from the University of Edinburgh, UK, suggests that cheap cilostazol tablets may reduce damage to arteries, which lead to blood clots, resulting in strokes and cognitive decline. The researchers plan to assess the medications’ ability to cut the risk of...
A new study from the US discovers that flavonoids, natural compounds found in fruits and vegetables, may help preserve the lung function, which tends to decline with age. For the study, a team of researchers looked at data from 463 adults from Norway and England whose...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more