- This disease is also caused by inadequate secretion of IF (intrinsic factor) by the parietal cells in the stomach — due to atrophy of the gastric mucosa or autoimmune destruction of the parietal cells. It is found most often in older individuals, particularly in those of northern European descent or in African Americans. It is less common in southern Europeans and Asians.
- Imurslund-Grasbeck syndrome is another documented cause for megaloblastic anemia. It is an autosomal recessive disorder characterized by intestinal vitamin B12 malabsorption and proteinuria.
- Poverty and malnutrition continues to cause cobalamin deficiency and leads to megaloblastic anemia.
- Weakness, especially in the arms and legs.
- Sore tongue.
- Nausea, appetite loss, and weight loss.
- Numbness or tingling in the hands and feet.
- Difficulty maintaining proper balance.
- Pale lips, tongue, and gums.
- Yellow eyes and skin.
- Bleeding gums.
- Shortness of breath.
- Depression, confusion, poor memory, and dementia.
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus).
- Medication-induced macrocytosis.
- Liver disease-associated macrocytosis.
- Infiltrative disorders of the bone marrow.
- Nitrous oxide abuse.
- Splenectomy-induced macrocytosis.
- Test for methylmalonic acid in the serum as an indicator of vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Test for homocysteine to check folate levels.
According to recent research, published in the journal Immunity, probiotics can be used safely and efficiently to fight osteoporosis, widely-known as osteoporosis. The researchers have used a mouse model to check the hypothesis. The mice received oral Lactobacillus...
A new study, published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, finds that a hot bath may help reduce inflammation and improve metabolism. As a part of an experiment, each study participant took a hot bath with water temperature 102°F (39°C) for one hour. The researchers...
Factors such as age, gender, physical activity, genetics, medical history, body type, and others directly affect not only the desire to lose weight, but also to follow the right diet. Everything is relative, everything is individual. Nevertheless, there are universal...read more
It is very entertaining to be a sport fan. There is a big variety of sport games that are extremely interesting to follow. Moreover, it is always fun to anticipate the score and watch the enthusiasm live. One of the benefits of being sports fan is using different...read more
A new study of nearly 18,000 participants found that those with high fitness at middle age were significantly less likely to die from heart disease in later life, even if they were diagnosed with depression. Doctor's Tips: How to Stay Fit While Treating Depression Dr....read more