- This disease is also caused by inadequate secretion of IF (intrinsic factor) by the parietal cells in the stomach — due to atrophy of the gastric mucosa or autoimmune destruction of the parietal cells. It is found most often in older individuals, particularly in those of northern European descent or in African Americans. It is less common in southern Europeans and Asians.
- Imurslund-Grasbeck syndrome is another documented cause for megaloblastic anemia. It is an autosomal recessive disorder characterized by intestinal vitamin B12 malabsorption and proteinuria.
- Poverty and malnutrition continues to cause cobalamin deficiency and leads to megaloblastic anemia.
- Weakness, especially in the arms and legs.
- Sore tongue.
- Nausea, appetite loss, and weight loss.
- Numbness or tingling in the hands and feet.
- Difficulty maintaining proper balance.
- Pale lips, tongue, and gums.
- Yellow eyes and skin.
- Bleeding gums.
- Shortness of breath.
- Depression, confusion, poor memory, and dementia.
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus).
- Medication-induced macrocytosis.
- Liver disease-associated macrocytosis.
- Infiltrative disorders of the bone marrow.
- Nitrous oxide abuse.
- Splenectomy-induced macrocytosis.
- Test for methylmalonic acid in the serum as an indicator of vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Test for homocysteine to check folate levels.
Recent research suggests that a handful of nuts, such as Brazil nut, cashew or pistachios, may reduce the risk of a heart attack or stroke by 33% in people with diabetes. Having performed analysis of the received data, the researchers discovered that people who ate an...
A new study from the US suggests that middle-aged men who are able to do 40 push-ups and more in one session have lower risk of cardiovascular disease than men who can do fewer than 10 push-ups. For a retrospective longitudinal study from 2000 to 2010, 1,104...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more
It is time for us to find the solution how to deal with extra weight which is coming with Christmas and New Year’s celebrations because 2018 is almost over and 2019 is getting closer. The main aim is obviously staying in shape and today will find an effective way to...read more
We know that moderate exercise strengthens our health and makes us more beautiful. But few know about the importance of doing sports as psychotherapy. And, nevertheless, physical loads can save from depressions, reduce anxiety, relieve from professional burnout,...read more