- This disease is also caused by inadequate secretion of IF (intrinsic factor) by the parietal cells in the stomach — due to atrophy of the gastric mucosa or autoimmune destruction of the parietal cells. It is found most often in older individuals, particularly in those of northern European descent or in African Americans. It is less common in southern Europeans and Asians.
- Imurslund-Grasbeck syndrome is another documented cause for megaloblastic anemia. It is an autosomal recessive disorder characterized by intestinal vitamin B12 malabsorption and proteinuria.
- Poverty and malnutrition continues to cause cobalamin deficiency and leads to megaloblastic anemia.
- Weakness, especially in the arms and legs.
- Sore tongue.
- Nausea, appetite loss, and weight loss.
- Numbness or tingling in the hands and feet.
- Difficulty maintaining proper balance.
- Pale lips, tongue, and gums.
- Yellow eyes and skin.
- Bleeding gums.
- Shortness of breath.
- Depression, confusion, poor memory, and dementia.
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus).
- Medication-induced macrocytosis.
- Liver disease-associated macrocytosis.
- Infiltrative disorders of the bone marrow.
- Nitrous oxide abuse.
- Splenectomy-induced macrocytosis.
- Test for methylmalonic acid in the serum as an indicator of vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Test for homocysteine to check folate levels.
A new study from the Stevens School of Business in New Jersey, USA, finds that even coffee scent can sharpen the brain under certain conditions. In the study, 114 students were involved. The participants were divided into two group and both had to answer mathematical...
A large-scale review of clinical trials for the past 25 years confirms that walnuts are the great choice for people who want to support their cardiovascular health. The scientists reviewed 26 randomized studies with 1,059 participants in total whose age was from 22 to...
We all know that doing sports is very important, both for health and for a beautiful body. But at the moment when we decide to finally take the path, we are faced with the question: what kind of sport is right for me? So, let's start with the fact that a lot of people...read more
Pranayama is not just a complex of breathing exercises. It is a complex process, during which a person receives vital energy - prana from the air. Literally pranayama is translated as "stopping breathing". Hence the main goal of the whole breathing gymnastics is to be...read more
Experts often advise people as suitable trainings to climb stairs, rather than use the elevator. And here are 6 reasons why we should do this regularly. Classes on the treadmill or with the ellipsoid simulator in daily mode seem too boring. They can be replaced by a...read more