Mental strengths General description
We are used to care about our mental health because it’s really meaningful to perceive the things in an adequate way, be flexible and mentally strong when your life often changes the speed. It’s not a secret that our mental system can be strong or not as well as a body when you easily regulate your emotions, control your thoughts and behavior despite the circumstances. We can define these abilities as mental strengths or mental toughness. In the last decades, this expression was used mostly by sports coaches, commentators or business leaders, for example during a describing of sportsmen’s mental state which help him to succeed. But later on, the definition was adapted to the regular lexicon and people relate it to a set of mental attributes that help a person to deal with difficult situations.
Of course, the mental toughness is not something that we are born with and there are no limits of improving it. As we work on our body structure and strengths, we should pay attention to mental muscles.
The development of mental strengths
People who want to train their mental strengths should focus on a combination of three elements: willpower, skill and resilience.
The willpower consists with intention, effort, and courage.
- intention is a component which represents a tenacity to finish a task, determination, and readiness to stay till the end.
- effort is an actual power that you will need to handle some difficulties and it shows if you are vulnerable to depression.
- courage is your ability to act despite on emotions, fear, discomfort, willingness to do what you need in any conditions by being aware of those barriers and able to control them.
The other part which was mentioned is a skill. It combines awareness, thinking and perspective.
- awareness is basically attention and capacity to focus, and it can be developed through the experience after facing some challenges and as a supportive tool you can use meditation in order to build your ability to concentrate or diary cards, journal writing which help to be aware of available source of awareness.
- thinking is a process of managing your emotions that were elicited by thoughts in hard situation, which can be trained through automatic thoughts records by writing down the description of situation, your thoughts about it and whether it fits in reality, how you react on it emotionally for finding out a proper way to response at the end.
- perspective is your ability to look at the big picture, making a step back from the instant situation and this can be gained by creating desirable images, seeing your life how you want to have it and using special therapy work on achieving it.
Resilience is a totality of different elements which help you to overcome challenges and feel the power during that. These components are well-known as flexibility, patience, support and self-care.
- flexibility is the willingness to act according to the situation, capability to adapt and change your performances following the evolving circumstances and environment.
- patience is helpful in avoiding problems or taking your time for more effective response, those who are impatient often make impulsive and ill-considered actions.
- support is very important thing for any human as we used to feel stronger when we are not alone, you can include in your support team anyone you want like family members, friends, your therapist.
- self-care is reasonable especially in a stress condition because the mind can be in danger and ill, the same as a body, and it’s good to have compassion to yourself for starting mental therapy.
All of the described characteristics which can improve your mental strength are not single-handed achievable. You can always contact the therapist and follow his instructions or do special exercises recommended by psychologists.
If it doesn’t fit for you, there is a possibility to try different online courses that will focuse on your personality and implement the program for you.
Raised sensitivity to bitter tastes might be an indicator of higher risk of cancer in women, according to a new research, conducted by scientists at the College of Agriculture Sciences of Pennsylvania State University in State College (US) in association with a team...
A new study from the Stevens School of Business in New Jersey, USA, finds that even coffee scent can sharpen the brain under certain conditions. In the study, 114 students were involved. The participants were divided into two group and both had to answer mathematical...
We all know that doing sports is very important, both for health and for a beautiful body. But at the moment when we decide to finally take the path, we are faced with the question: what kind of sport is right for me? So, let's start with the fact that a lot of people...read more
Pranayama is not just a complex of breathing exercises. It is a complex process, during which a person receives vital energy - prana from the air. Literally pranayama is translated as "stopping breathing". Hence the main goal of the whole breathing gymnastics is to be...read more
Experts often advise people as suitable trainings to climb stairs, rather than use the elevator. And here are 6 reasons why we should do this regularly. Classes on the treadmill or with the ellipsoid simulator in daily mode seem too boring. They can be replaced by a...read more