Mental strengths General description
We are used to care about our mental health because it’s really meaningful to perceive the things in an adequate way, be flexible and mentally strong when your life often changes the speed. It’s not a secret that our mental system can be strong or not as well as a body when you easily regulate your emotions, control your thoughts and behavior despite the circumstances. We can define these abilities as mental strengths or mental toughness. In the last decades, this expression was used mostly by sports coaches, commentators or business leaders, for example during a describing of sportsmen’s mental state which help him to succeed. But later on, the definition was adapted to the regular lexicon and people relate it to a set of mental attributes that help a person to deal with difficult situations.
Of course, the mental toughness is not something that we are born with and there are no limits of improving it. As we work on our body structure and strengths, we should pay attention to mental muscles.
The development of mental strengths
People who want to train their mental strengths should focus on a combination of three elements: willpower, skill and resilience.
The willpower consists with intention, effort, and courage.
- intention is a component which represents a tenacity to finish a task, determination, and readiness to stay till the end.
- effort is an actual power that you will need to handle some difficulties and it shows if you are vulnerable to depression.
- courage is your ability to act despite on emotions, fear, discomfort, willingness to do what you need in any conditions by being aware of those barriers and able to control them.
The other part which was mentioned is a skill. It combines awareness, thinking and perspective.
- awareness is basically attention and capacity to focus, and it can be developed through the experience after facing some challenges and as a supportive tool you can use meditation in order to build your ability to concentrate or diary cards, journal writing which help to be aware of available source of awareness.
- thinking is a process of managing your emotions that were elicited by thoughts in hard situation, which can be trained through automatic thoughts records by writing down the description of situation, your thoughts about it and whether it fits in reality, how you react on it emotionally for finding out a proper way to response at the end.
- perspective is your ability to look at the big picture, making a step back from the instant situation and this can be gained by creating desirable images, seeing your life how you want to have it and using special therapy work on achieving it.
Resilience is a totality of different elements which help you to overcome challenges and feel the power during that. These components are well-known as flexibility, patience, support and self-care.
- flexibility is the willingness to act according to the situation, capability to adapt and change your performances following the evolving circumstances and environment.
- patience is helpful in avoiding problems or taking your time for more effective response, those who are impatient often make impulsive and ill-considered actions.
- support is very important thing for any human as we used to feel stronger when we are not alone, you can include in your support team anyone you want like family members, friends, your therapist.
- self-care is reasonable especially in a stress condition because the mind can be in danger and ill, the same as a body, and it’s good to have compassion to yourself for starting mental therapy.
All of the described characteristics which can improve your mental strength are not single-handed achievable. You can always contact the therapist and follow his instructions or do special exercises recommended by psychologists.
If it doesn’t fit for you, there is a possibility to try different online courses that will focuse on your personality and implement the program for you.
A new study from the US suggests that middle-aged men who are able to do 40 push-ups and more in one session have lower risk of cardiovascular disease than men who can do fewer than 10 push-ups. For a retrospective longitudinal study from 2000 to 2010, 1,104...
Recent research from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, US, suggests that getting enough sleep at nights connected to the decreased risk of developing atherosclerosis, a condition in which plaque builds up on the inner walls of the arteries. For the study, a...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more
It is time for us to find the solution how to deal with extra weight which is coming with Christmas and New Year’s celebrations because 2018 is almost over and 2019 is getting closer. The main aim is obviously staying in shape and today will find an effective way to...read more
We know that moderate exercise strengthens our health and makes us more beautiful. But few know about the importance of doing sports as psychotherapy. And, nevertheless, physical loads can save from depressions, reduce anxiety, relieve from professional burnout,...read more