We are used to care about our mental health because it’s really meaningful to perceive the things in an adequate way, be flexible and mentally strong when your life often changes the speed. It’s not a secret that our mental system can be strong or not as well as a body when you easily regulate your emotions, control your thoughts and behavior despite the circumstances. We can define these abilities as mental strengths or mental toughness. In the last decades, this expression was used mostly by sports coaches, commentators or business leaders, for example during a describing of sportsmen’s mental state which help him to succeed. But later on, the definition was adapted to the regular lexicon and people relate it to a set of mental attributes that help a person to deal with difficult situations.
Of course, the mental toughness is not something that we are born with and there are no limits of improving it. As we work on our body structure and strengths, we should pay attention to mental muscles.
The development of mental strengths
People who want to train their mental strengths should focus on a combination of three elements: willpower, skill and resilience.
The willpower consists with intention, effort, and courage.
• intention is a component which represents a tenacity to finish a task, determination, and readiness to stay till the end.
• effort is an actual power that you will need to handle some difficulties and it shows if you are vulnerable to depression.
• courage is your ability to act despite on emotions, fear, discomfort, willingness to do what you need in any conditions by being aware of those barriers and able to control them.
The other part which was mentioned is a skill. It combines awareness, thinking and perspective.
• awareness is basically attention and capacity to focus, and it can be developed through the experience after facing some challenges and as a supportive tool you can use meditation in order to build your ability to concentrate or diary cards, journal writing which help to be aware of available source of awareness.
• thinking is a process of managing your emotions that were elicited by thoughts in hard situation, which can be trained through automatic thoughts records by writing down the description of situation, your thoughts about it and whether it fits in reality, how you react on it emotionally for finding out a proper way to response at the end.
• perspective is your ability to look at the big picture, making a step back from the instant situation and this can be gained by creating desirable images, seeing your life how you want to have it and using special therapy work on achieving it.
Resilience is a totality of different elements which help you to overcome challenges and feel the power during that. These components are well-known as flexibility, patience, support and self-care.
• flexibility is the willingness to act according to the situation, capability to adapt and change your performances following the evolving circumstances and environment.
• patience is helpful in avoiding problems or taking your time for more effective response, those who are impatient often make impulsive and ill-considered actions.
• support is very important thing for any human as we used to feel stronger when we are not alone, you can include in your support team anyone you want like family members, friends, your therapist.
• self-care is reasonable especially in a stress condition because the mind can be in danger and ill, the same as a body, and it’s good to have compassion to yourself for starting mental therapy.
All of the described characteristics which can improve your mental strength are not single-handed achievable. You can always contact the therapist and follow his instructions or do special exercises recommended by psychologists.
If it doesn't fit for you, there is a possibility to try different online courses that will focus on your personality and implement the program for you.
A new research from the University of Edinburgh, UK, suggests that cheap cilostazol tablets may reduce damage to arteries, which lead to blood clots, resulting in strokes and cognitive decline. The researchers plan to assess the medications’ ability to cut the risk of...
A new study from the US discovers that flavonoids, natural compounds found in fruits and vegetables, may help preserve the lung function, which tends to decline with age. For the study, a team of researchers looked at data from 463 adults from Norway and England whose...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more