- The most common cause of microcytic anemia is iron deficiency.
- A person who is suffering from a lot of bleeding is prone to suffer from this condition. In men, gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding is the most frequent source of iron depletion. GI bleeding may be from ulcers, inflammatory bowel conditions or even severe hemorrhoids. In woman heavy bleeding during menstruation. Other than this, those who suffer from cancer and infections can also have decreased iron and increased bleeding. These are the other causes of microcytic anemia.
- Anemia of chronic disease is another cause of microcytic anemia. Usually this anemia is normocytic, but in a minority of cases an anemia of chronic disease can be microcytic. This type of anemia is common in patients on dialysis or with significant chronic renal insufficiency, or other patients with serious chronic medical problems.
- Lead poisoning is the next most common and one of the most serious causes of microcytic anemia. It needs to be suspected in any young child with microcytic anemia who does not respond quickly to iron supplementation, or who lives in a home with lead pain exposure. This is mostly older homes.
- Other hereditary conditions like hereditary spherocytosis or hereditary elliptocytosis. These are due to genetic mutations in red blood cell wall proteins that can lead to very small red blood cells that have fragile cell membranes.
- Other causes of microcytic anemia are quite uncommon.
- Fatigue and weakness.
- Shortness of breath.
- Chest pain.
- Problems in concentrating.
- Paleness of the skin.
- Coldness in hands and feet.
- Rapid heartbeat.
- Abnormal heart rhythm.
- A ferritin level <15 mcg/L confirms iron deficiency.
- If there is coexisting chronic inflammatory disease, the clinician should consider seeking specialist advice about other measures of iron status.
A new research from the University of Edinburgh, UK, suggests that cheap cilostazol tablets may reduce damage to arteries, which lead to blood clots, resulting in strokes and cognitive decline. The researchers plan to assess the medications’ ability to cut the risk of...
A new study from the US discovers that flavonoids, natural compounds found in fruits and vegetables, may help preserve the lung function, which tends to decline with age. For the study, a team of researchers looked at data from 463 adults from Norway and England whose...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more