- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- Inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Chronic infections.
- Drug toxicity.
- Chronic alcoholism.
- Hemolytic anaemia.
- Malabsorption syndromes.
- Lead poisoning.
- Diagnosis is made from bone marrow examination demonstrating the presence of ring sideroblasts with a generalized increase in iron stores.
- A full blood count (FBC) usually shows a moderate anemia.
- The mean corpuscular volume (MCV) is normal or increased, but can be low.
- High serum iron and transferring saturation also occur.
- The blood film shows a dimorphic population of both normal and hypochromic red blood cells.
- Treatment is mainly supportive.
- Red cell transfusion is given for symptomatic anemia.
- Iron chelation with deferoxamine should be considered after 20-25 units of red cells have been received.
- Avoid alcohol and vitamin C as these increase iron absorption.
- The use of erythropoietin plus or minus granulocyte colony-stimulating factor has been demonstrated to reduce the need for red cell transfusion in some patients with myelodysplastic syndrome but the studies were small.
- Patients with hereditary sideroblastic anemia may respond to pyridoxine.
- Cyclosporin A has been shown to give a response rate (i.e. alteration of disease progression or remission) of 62.5% in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes including sideroblastic anaemia.
- New therapies are emerging, approved by the United States FDA in 2004. There are two DNA methyltransferase inhibitors (azacitidine and decitabine) and an immunomodulatory agent (lenalidomide).
A new study from York University in Toronto, Canada, suggests that consuming fluoridated water during pregnancy can be connected with the lower IQ in children born to women who were exposed to this kind of water. For the study, the data from 601 pairs of mothers and...
A new study, performed by the researchers from the universities of Newcastle, Warwick, and Sheffield, finds that people living in a city within 984 ft, or 300 m, of green areas, park or playground, are happier. For the study, the researchers examined the quality of...
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...read more
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...read more
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more