- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- Inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Chronic infections.
- Drug toxicity.
- Chronic alcoholism.
- Hemolytic anaemia.
- Malabsorption syndromes.
- Lead poisoning.
- Diagnosis is made from bone marrow examination demonstrating the presence of ring sideroblasts with a generalized increase in iron stores.
- A full blood count (FBC) usually shows a moderate anemia.
- The mean corpuscular volume (MCV) is normal or increased, but can be low.
- High serum iron and transferring saturation also occur.
- The blood film shows a dimorphic population of both normal and hypochromic red blood cells.
- Treatment is mainly supportive.
- Red cell transfusion is given for symptomatic anemia.
- Iron chelation with deferoxamine should be considered after 20-25 units of red cells have been received.
- Avoid alcohol and vitamin C as these increase iron absorption.
- The use of erythropoietin plus or minus granulocyte colony-stimulating factor has been demonstrated to reduce the need for red cell transfusion in some patients with myelodysplastic syndrome but the studies were small.
- Patients with hereditary sideroblastic anemia may respond to pyridoxine.
- Cyclosporin A has been shown to give a response rate (i.e. alteration of disease progression or remission) of 62.5% in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes including sideroblastic anaemia.
- New therapies are emerging, approved by the United States FDA in 2004. There are two DNA methyltransferase inhibitors (azacitidine and decitabine) and an immunomodulatory agent (lenalidomide).
An observational study from the University of Washington, US, suggests that there is a link between high consumption of yogurt and lower risk of bowel cancer (adenoma) in men. The study tracked more than 32,000 men for twenty-five years and found that those men who...
A new study, from the University of Exeter Medical School, UK, and Uppsala University, Sweden, finds that 2 hours of being in nature — parks, forests, and beaches — is enough to boost the overall well-being. To check their hypothesis, the team of researchers took data...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...read more
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more
It is time for us to find the solution how to deal with extra weight which is coming with Christmas and New Year’s celebrations because 2018 is almost over and 2019 is getting closer. The main aim is obviously staying in shape and today will find an effective way to...read more