- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- Inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Chronic infections.
- Drug toxicity.
- Chronic alcoholism.
- Hemolytic anaemia.
- Malabsorption syndromes.
- Lead poisoning.
- Diagnosis is made from bone marrow examination demonstrating the presence of ring sideroblasts with a generalized increase in iron stores.
- A full blood count (FBC) usually shows a moderate anemia.
- The mean corpuscular volume (MCV) is normal or increased, but can be low.
- High serum iron and transferring saturation also occur.
- The blood film shows a dimorphic population of both normal and hypochromic red blood cells.
- Treatment is mainly supportive.
- Red cell transfusion is given for symptomatic anemia.
- Iron chelation with deferoxamine should be considered after 20-25 units of red cells have been received.
- Avoid alcohol and vitamin C as these increase iron absorption.
- The use of erythropoietin plus or minus granulocyte colony-stimulating factor has been demonstrated to reduce the need for red cell transfusion in some patients with myelodysplastic syndrome but the studies were small.
- Patients with hereditary sideroblastic anemia may respond to pyridoxine.
- Cyclosporin A has been shown to give a response rate (i.e. alteration of disease progression or remission) of 62.5% in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes including sideroblastic anaemia.
- New therapies are emerging, approved by the United States FDA in 2004. There are two DNA methyltransferase inhibitors (azacitidine and decitabine) and an immunomodulatory agent (lenalidomide).
Recent research from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, US, suggests that getting enough sleep at nights connected to the decreased risk of developing atherosclerosis, a condition in which plaque builds up on the inner walls of the arteries. For the study, a...
A new study from Portland State University in Oregon suggests that the Western diet can increase severity of sepsis, which is also called as blood poisoning. For the study, researchers fed mice the equivalent of a Western diet which included a lot of fat and sugar had...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more
It is time for us to find the solution how to deal with extra weight which is coming with Christmas and New Year’s celebrations because 2018 is almost over and 2019 is getting closer. The main aim is obviously staying in shape and today will find an effective way to...read more
We know that moderate exercise strengthens our health and makes us more beautiful. But few know about the importance of doing sports as psychotherapy. And, nevertheless, physical loads can save from depressions, reduce anxiety, relieve from professional burnout,...read more