- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- Inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Chronic infections.
- Drug toxicity.
- Chronic alcoholism.
- Hemolytic anaemia.
- Malabsorption syndromes.
- Lead poisoning.
- Diagnosis is made from bone marrow examination demonstrating the presence of ring sideroblasts with a generalized increase in iron stores.
- A full blood count (FBC) usually shows a moderate anemia.
- The mean corpuscular volume (MCV) is normal or increased, but can be low.
- High serum iron and transferring saturation also occur.
- The blood film shows a dimorphic population of both normal and hypochromic red blood cells.
- Treatment is mainly supportive.
- Red cell transfusion is given for symptomatic anemia.
- Iron chelation with deferoxamine should be considered after 20-25 units of red cells have been received.
- Avoid alcohol and vitamin C as these increase iron absorption.
- The use of erythropoietin plus or minus granulocyte colony-stimulating factor has been demonstrated to reduce the need for red cell transfusion in some patients with myelodysplastic syndrome but the studies were small.
- Patients with hereditary sideroblastic anemia may respond to pyridoxine.
- Cyclosporin A has been shown to give a response rate (i.e. alteration of disease progression or remission) of 62.5% in patients with myelodysplastic syndromes including sideroblastic anaemia.
- New therapies are emerging, approved by the United States FDA in 2004. There are two DNA methyltransferase inhibitors (azacitidine and decitabine) and an immunomodulatory agent (lenalidomide).
A team of scientists from the Swinburne University of Technology in Australia finds that cinnamon may help in treating resistant bacterial infections breaking up their biofilms — sticky layers that are usually responsible for persistent infections that cannot be...
According to a new study, performed by the French scientists, people who eat a lot of fruit and vegetables have up to 30% less risk to experience the severe symptoms of asthma. For their research, a team of scientists studied approximately 35,000 people comparing...
We all know that doing sports is very important, both for health and for a beautiful body. But at the moment when we decide to finally take the path of correction, we are faced with the question: what kind of sport is right for me? So, let's start with the fact that a...read more
Pranayama is not just a complex of breathing exercises. It is a complex process, during which a person receives vital energy - prana from the air. Literally pranayama is translated as "stopping breathing". Hence the main goal of the whole breathing gymnastics is to be...read more
Experts often advise people as suitable trainings to climb stairs, rather than use the elevator. And here are 6 reasons why we should do this regularly. Classes on the treadmill or with the ellipsoid simulator in daily mode seem too boring. They can be replaced by a...read more