- Sometimes, part of the blood clot can break away and travel through the blood circulation system and lodge in the lungs, causing a pulmonary embolism (PE). A PE is a serious and potentially life-threatening condition, as it can prevent blood from reaching your lungs.
- Warning signs of a PE are chest pain or shortness of breath.
- Prothrombin time (PT).
- Activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT; using a thromboplastin that is relatively sensitive to the presence of a lupusanticoagulant).
- Thrombin time and reptilase time (to detect a heparin or direct thrombin inhibitor effect, and to screen for dysfibrinogenemia).
- Lupus anticoagulant panel (to include at least two phospholipid-dependent clot-based assays that interrogate at least two ofeither the intrinsic [sensitive aPTT], extrinsic [dilute prothrombin time] or common [Russell's viper venom clotting time, Ecarin/Textarin clotting times] procoagulant pathways, along with mixing studies to show inhibition and "confirm" studies [e.g., platelet neutralization procedure, hexagonal phase phospholipid] to show phospholipid-dependentinhibition).
- Anti-cardiolipin and anti-?2 glycoprotein 1 antibodies (IgG and IgM isotypes).
- Activated protein C (APC)-resistance ratio (second generation; "factor V-deficient plasma" mixing study).
- Fibrinogen, soluble fibrin monomer complex and quantitative plasma fibrin d-dimer (to screen for intravascular coagulation andfibrinolysis [DIC]).
- Prothrombin G20210A mutation genotyping (direct genomic DNA mutation testing).
- Plasma homocysteine (basal).
- For patients with idiopathic or recurrent venous thromboembolism; a first episode of venous thromboembolism at a "young" age;a family history of venous thromboembolism; venous thrombosis in an unusual vascular territory; neonatal purpura fulminansor warfarin-induced skin necrosis:
- Anti-thrombin activity (followed by anti-thrombin antigen level if the activity is low).
- Protein C activity (followed by protein C antigen level if the activity is low).
- Protein S activity (followed by free protein S antigen level if the activity is low. The total protein S antigen level may behelpful if the free protein S antigen is low).
- Flow cytometry for paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria [PNH].
- Plasma ADAMTS-13 activity (for acquired or familial thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura).
- Plasminogen activity (for ligneous conjunctivitis/gingivitis).
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia testing (plasma anti-PF4/glycosaminoglycan antibodies [ELISA]; platelet C-serotonin release assay; heparin-dependent platelet aggregation).
- Quantitative PCR assay for JAK-2 mutation (for splanchnic or portal vein thrombosis).
- Chest x-rayposteroanterior and lateral view, urinalysis, mammogram, CT, MRI, and respective ENT evaluation for Smokers & Tobacco users.
- Colon imaging, especially if no prior screening (proctosigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy).
- UGI/upper endoscopy.
- Abdominal imaging (CT).
- Endometrial biopsy if endometrial cancer suspected.
A new study, performed by the researchers from the universities of Newcastle, Warwick, and Sheffield, finds that people living in a city within 984 ft, or 300 m, of green areas, park or playground, are happier. For the study, the researchers examined the quality of...
According to new research, published in the journal Gut, the use of antibiotics in pills and capsules is associated with the higher risk of colon cancer but lower risk of rectal cancer at the same time. Researchers say this risk depends on the type and class of...
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...read more
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...read more
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more