- Disorders that cause hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
- Thyroid nodules.
- Thyroid cancer.
- Weight loss.
- Eating more than usual.
- Rapid and irregular heart beat.
- Pale and dry skin.
- A hoarse voice.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Weak and brittle bone.
- Trembling in your hands and fingers.
- Increased sensitivity to heat and cold.
- Muscle weakness.
- More frequent bowel movements.
- Blood test. Testing the level of thyroid stimulating hormone in your blood.
- Radioactive iodine uptake test. For this test, you swallow a liquid or capsule containing a small dose of radioiodine. Then, a probe placed over your thyroid measures the amount of radioiodine in your thyroid. A high uptake of radioiodine means that your thyroid is making too much of thyroid hormones. A low uptake of radioiodine means that your thyroid is making low or enough thyroid hormones.
- Thyroid scan. Thyroid scan usually uses the same radioiodine dose that was given by mouth for your uptake test.
- Thyroid fine needle biopsy. This test is used to see if thyroid nodules have normal cells in them.
- Thyroid ultrasound. The thyroid ultrasound helps your doctor to tell what type of nodule you have how large it is.
- For hyperthyroidism treatment options may include, antithyroid medications (medications such as levothyroxine, Liothyronine is also available), radioiodine, and thyroid surgery.
- Thyroid nodules treatment options may include, watchful waiting, radioiodine, alcohol ablation, surgery and thyroid cancer can be treated mainly by surgery.
- Treatment of goiter depends on the cause of goiter. If your goiter is caused by not getting enough iodine, you may be given iodine supplement to swallow and T4 supplement. Other options may include radioiodine and surgery.
A new Finnish study, published in the journal Frontiers in Microbiology, finds that endurance exercises may change the composition of gut microbiota. The researchers developed a 6-week program of bicycle training and enrolled 17 overweight women for this program. All...
In summer and spring it is easy to get up early and run a couple of laps, do a few push-ups and, with a sense of accomplishment, go to work. But in autumn, when there are dark clouds in sky, a cold wind is blowing and it is boring rain, you probably not feel like...
It is very entertaining to be a sport fan. There is a big variety of sport games that are extremely interesting to follow. Moreover, it is always fun to anticipate the score and watch the enthusiasm live. One of the benefits of being sports fan is using different...read more
A new study of nearly 18,000 participants found that those with high fitness at middle age were significantly less likely to die from heart disease in later life, even if they were diagnosed with depression. Doctor's Tips: How to Stay Fit While Treating Depression Dr....read more
The warm ups are supposed to increase body temperature and blood flow so the muscles and surrounding joints become more responsive and prepared for physical activity. Although there’s a neurological element to warm-ups, most research focuses on the physiological...read more