Transient global amnesia
- Strenuous physical activity.
- Sexual intercourse.
- Medical procedures, such as angiography or endoscopy.
- Acute emotional distress, as might be provoked by bad news, conflict or overwork.
- Blocked arteries.
- Temporal lobe seizures.
- Migraine headaches.
- Is neurologically intact except for absent memory (for example, remains alert, remembers identity, remembers past experiences).
- Asks relevant questions repeatedly because she or he does not remember the answer.
- Is unable to recall the episode once she or he has recovered.
- Usually maintains her or his semantic memory (long-term memory responsible for retaining knowledge about the world, including the meaning of words and objects) and meta memory (the awareness of what one should know).
- Anterograde amnesia must be present.
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan: Using special X-ray equipment, CT machines obtain images from many different angles and join them together to show cross-sectional images of the brain and skull. CT scans can reveal abnormalities in brain structure, including narrowed, overstretched or broken blood vessels and past strokes.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): This technique uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed, cross-sectional images of the brain. The MRI machine can combine these slices to produce 3-D images that may be viewed from many different angles.
New research, executed by scientists from Iowa State University, finds that lifting weights for less than an hour once a week may lower the risk of heart attack or stroke by 40–70%. The researchers also add that performing weight exercises for more than an hour...
A large-scale scientific review, presented at the European Association for the Study of Diabetes meeting in Berlin, suggests that three to four cups of coffee a day may decrease the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 25 percent. For the study, the researchers...
Factors such as age, gender, physical activity, genetics, medical history, body type, and others directly affect not only the desire to lose weight, but also to follow the right diet. Everything is relative, everything is individual. Nevertheless, there are universal...read more
It is very entertaining to be a sport fan. There is a big variety of sport games that are extremely interesting to follow. Moreover, it is always fun to anticipate the score and watch the enthusiasm live. One of the benefits of being sports fan is using different...read more
A new study of nearly 18,000 participants found that those with high fitness at middle age were significantly less likely to die from heart disease in later life, even if they were diagnosed with depression. Doctor's Tips: How to Stay Fit While Treating Depression Dr....read more