- The aorta, which is attached to the left bottom chamber (ventricle) of the heart and carries oxygen-rich blood to the body.
- Delayed growth or growth failure.
- Poor feeding.
- Rapid breathing (tachypnea).
- Shortness of breath.
- Widening of the finger tips (clubbing).
- A cardiac catheterization may be done on rare occasions if anatomy appears very unusual, or the diagnosis is made later as information is needed regarding the pressures in the pulmonary arteries. In most cases, however, the echocardiogram gives enough information to plan for surgery.
- MRI of the heart.
- X-ray of the chest.
- Closure of the ventricular septal defect using a patch.
- Creating a connection between the right ventricle and the pulmonary arteries using a valved conduit, usually a homograft pulmonary artery.
- Most infants will require a period of very close monitoring in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit while their heart function recovers from the major reconstruction.
- The use of mechanical ventilation, special monitoring lines, and strong intravenous medications is typical during this period.
- Gradually, as the heart function stabilizes, the supporting measures may be withdrawn and conversion to oral medications and attention to feeding dominates the management program.
- Time in hospital following surgery may vary from one to three weeks in most cases.
A new study, published in the International Journal of Cancer, suggests that drinking hot tea is associated with a higher risk of developing esophageal cancer. The researchers analyzed data from over 50,000 people from the Golestan Cohort Study, a population-based...
According to a new international study, leisurely physical activity, which includes dancing, gardening, or walking, on a weekly basis may cut the risk of death from multiple causes in adults aged 40 and over. The team included researchers from the Shandong University...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more
It is time for us to find the solution how to deal with extra weight which is coming with Christmas and New Year’s celebrations because 2018 is almost over and 2019 is getting closer. The main aim is obviously staying in shape and today will find an effective way to...read more
We know that moderate exercise strengthens our health and makes us more beautiful. But few know about the importance of doing sports as psychotherapy. And, nevertheless, physical loads can save from depressions, reduce anxiety, relieve from professional burnout,...read more