Vitamin D deficiency
- Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol).
- Bone formation.
- Immune function.
- Muscle strength.
- Hair growth.
- Fighting infections.
- Reducing the risk of autoimmune diseases.
- Certain fish and fish oils are good sources of vitamin D.
- Vitamin D supplements which can be bought over-the-counter (without a prescription) are available in 400 IU (international units), 600 IU, 700 IU, 800 IU, and 1000 IU tablets.
- Delayed tooth formation.
- Dental deformities.
- Muscle cramps.
- Poor growth in children.
- Spine and other bone deformities.
- Stooped posture and a loss of height.
- Dietary Intake: Vitamin D deficiency can be prevented, and the treatment can be made effective by the consumption of natural foods that are a rich source of vitamin D. These include foods like eggs, beef liver, fish and fish oils (like cod liver oil), cow's milk, soy milk, etc.
- Artificial Ultraviolet B Radiation: This form of treatment is administered to those who do not have access to direct sunlight. Exposure to ultraviolet B radiation, created by artificial light sources, works as a substitute for direct sunlight exposure, and allows the synthesis of vitamin D by the skin.
- Daily vitamin D supplementation of 800 to 1,000 IU is a reasonable dose for adults.
- Levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D should be maintained above 32 ng/mL (80 nmol/L) to maximize bone health.
- In patients with severe vitamin D deficiency (serum levels of below 8 ng/mL with hypocalcemia), 50,000 IU of vitamin D should be given daily for one to three weeks, followed by weekly doses of 50,000 IU.
- After repletion of body stores, 800 IU of vitamin D daily or 50,000 IU of vitamin D once or twice monthly is adequate maintenance therapy.
- In critically ill patients, albumin-adjusted calcium levels underestimate true or ionized hypocalcemia. Therefore, measured ionized calcium levels are recommended, particularly in patients who are being treated in an intensive care unit.
- If calcium supplementation alone fails to maintain normal serum levels, the patient is vitamin D deficient or resistant and may benefit from a trial of calcitriol (Rocatrol).
- If the vitamin D deficiency is severe, the patient will require 90 mmol/L in the first 24 hours: 6 mL of K2PO4 added to each liter of fluid and given at 200 mL/hr (1 mL of K2PO4 is equal to 4 mEq of potassium and 3.0 mmol/L or 93 mg of phosphate).
A new research from the University of Edinburgh, UK, suggests that cheap cilostazol tablets may reduce damage to arteries, which lead to blood clots, resulting in strokes and cognitive decline. The researchers plan to assess the medications’ ability to cut the risk of...
A new study from the US discovers that flavonoids, natural compounds found in fruits and vegetables, may help preserve the lung function, which tends to decline with age. For the study, a team of researchers looked at data from 463 adults from Norway and England whose...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more