7 foods that cause depression
There are so many factors that can affect your mental health and one of them is food. Researchers are trying to discover the potential effect of each product to our body. Learning their studies, Medigoo.com collected for you the list of food that can cause stress and even depression for your organism and you.
Some products, if taken in large quantities, and afflict the human nervous system, are highly addictive, which ultimately leads to depression.
These products can be divided to few different categories.
- High fructose corn syrup (processed sugars) Processed sugar negotiates with serotonin (the hormone of happiness) in a negative way and also it decrease energy level. Moreover, undigested fructose affects the colon, feeding bacteria there and cause bloating and diarrhea. So choose fresh fruits instead of cookies! The products that contains HFCS: baked stuff, cookies and cakes, candies, sweet beverages like Pepsi or Sprite, yogurts, breads, frozen pizza, breakfast cereals, salad dressing, boxed macaroni and cheese etc.
- Artificial sweeteners
These components in food lower our serotonin levels and contribute to depression and cause mood changes, headaches, and insomnia. Beside this, artificial sweeteners may be a good alternative if you have diabetes. Products with artificial sweeteners: marketed as "sugar-free" or "diet," including soft drinks, chewing gum, jellies, baked goods, candy, fruit juice, and ice cream and yogurt.
- Foods high in sodium Fat-free products can influence in a good way on your waistline, but not on your emotions. The products that are high in sodium can disrupt your neurological system, causing depression. Foods high in sodium include: table salt, baking soda, sauces, salad dressing, cured meat, cheese (Roquefort), pickles, fast foods, canned vegetables etc.
- Fluoride in water It’s not true that fluoride water is good for your teeth, all it can do is to cause a depression, thyroid imbalances, and constipation
- Processed food Consuming processed food can cause the same impact on your body as eating a lot of jelly beans. And it will lead to fatigue, irritation, and agitation. Examples of processed food are breakfast cereals, tinned vegetables, cheese, bread, bacon, microwave meals etc.
Excessive consumption of coffee makes a person addicted to caffeine, and drink becomes necessary as doping. If a person does not drink the required dose of coffee, he quickly gets tired, feels broken, he has a temper. Also caffeine affects your sleep, causing insomnia and anxiety. This picture is showing how much caffeine is in drinks you consume.
- Alcohol Alcohol can serve as a depressant, making feel relaxed but when you become dependent of it, that will stress you over time. Alcohol slows all processes of nervous system like thinking, understanding and controlling emotions. Also, it stimulates production of the same hormones that stress does. Go to our website for learning more about alcohol harm effects.
If you are interested in learning more facts about destructive food, check our article Top 5 nutrition facts.
According to a recent research from the University of Manitoba, lentils in your meal may successfully fight high blood pressure, scientifically called hypertension. The researchers also found that eating lentils can reverse declines in blood vessel health. The results...
A new study, published in the British Journal of Cancer, reveals that men who used to binge-watch TV-shows may have the higher risk of developing colorectal cancer. For their study, a team of researchers analyzed data from UK Biobank, a health database of...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more
Spring is not far off and very soon you will see many people riding a bike. It's worth to join them and now we will give you the 8 reasons why. Weight control Scientists of the University of Surrey (England) found that it's enough riding a bike for an hour, and, not...read more
We all want to get in shape and keep fit. But not everyone has time for visiting the gym. Give up the elevator. Give up lifts and climb the stairs. At work, at home, at the mall. This simple advice is a great benefit if you follow it daily. Climbing the stairs...read more