7 foods that cause depression
There are so many factors that can affect your mental health and one of them is food. Researchers are trying to discover the potential effect of each product to our body. Learning their studies, Medigoo.com collected for you the list of food that can cause stress and even depression for your organism and you.
Some products, if taken in large quantities, and afflict the human nervous system, are highly addictive, which ultimately leads to depression.
These products can be divided to few different categories.
- High fructose corn syrup (processed sugars) Processed sugar negotiates with serotonin (the hormone of happiness) in a negative way and also it decrease energy level. Moreover, undigested fructose affects the colon, feeding bacteria there and cause bloating and diarrhea. So choose fresh fruits instead of cookies! The products that contains HFCS: baked stuff, cookies and cakes, candies, sweet beverages like Pepsi or Sprite, yogurts, breads, frozen pizza, breakfast cereals, salad dressing, boxed macaroni and cheese etc.
- Artificial sweeteners
These components in food lower our serotonin levels and contribute to depression and cause mood changes, headaches, and insomnia. Beside this, artificial sweeteners may be a good alternative if you have diabetes. Products with artificial sweeteners: marketed as "sugar-free" or "diet," including soft drinks, chewing gum, jellies, baked goods, candy, fruit juice, and ice cream and yogurt.
- Foods high in sodium Fat-free products can influence in a good way on your waistline, but not on your emotions. The products that are high in sodium can disrupt your neurological system, causing depression. Foods high in sodium include: table salt, baking soda, sauces, salad dressing, cured meat, cheese (Roquefort), pickles, fast foods, canned vegetables etc.
- Fluoride in water It’s not true that fluoride water is good for your teeth, all it can do is to cause a depression, thyroid imbalances, and constipation
- Processed food Consuming processed food can cause the same impact on your body as eating a lot of jelly beans. And it will lead to fatigue, irritation, and agitation. Examples of processed food are breakfast cereals, tinned vegetables, cheese, bread, bacon, microwave meals etc.
Excessive consumption of coffee makes a person addicted to caffeine, and drink becomes necessary as doping. If a person does not drink the required dose of coffee, he quickly gets tired, feels broken, he has a temper. Also caffeine affects your sleep, causing insomnia and anxiety. This picture is showing how much caffeine is in drinks you consume.
- Alcohol Alcohol can serve as a depressant, making feel relaxed but when you become dependent of it, that will stress you over time. Alcohol slows all processes of nervous system like thinking, understanding and controlling emotions. Also, it stimulates production of the same hormones that stress does. Go to our website for learning more about alcohol harm effects.
If you are interested in learning more facts about destructive food, check our article Top 5 nutrition facts.
A new study, recently published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, suggests that exposure to blue light may help reduce high blood pressure. For the study, a team of researchers assessed whether blue light exposure could produce enough nitric oxide to...
Soccer is one of the most watched and followed sport around the world. Soccer is obviously has given the world many known figures like Pele, Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane, Maradona, Neymar and many more. There are many people who dream to be one of them and indulge their...
Factors such as age, gender, physical activity, genetics, medical history, body type, and others directly affect not only the desire to lose weight, but also to follow the right diet. Everything is relative, everything is individual. Nevertheless, there are universal...read more
It is very entertaining to be a sport fan. There is a big variety of sport games that are extremely interesting to follow. Moreover, it is always fun to anticipate the score and watch the enthusiasm live. One of the benefits of being sports fan is using different...read more
A new study of nearly 18,000 participants found that those with high fitness at middle age were significantly less likely to die from heart disease in later life, even if they were diagnosed with depression. Doctor's Tips: How to Stay Fit While Treating Depression Dr....read more