7 foods that cause depression
There are so many factors that can affect your mental health and one of them is food. Researchers are trying to discover the potential effect of each product to our body. Learning their studies, Medigoo.com collected for you the list of food that can cause stress and even depression for your organism and you.
Some products, if taken in large quantities, and afflict the human nervous system, are highly addictive, which ultimately leads to depression.
These products can be divided to few different categories.
- High fructose corn syrup (processed sugars) Processed sugar negotiates with serotonin (the hormone of happiness) in a negative way and also it decrease energy level. Moreover, undigested fructose affects the colon, feeding bacteria there and cause bloating and diarrhea. So choose fresh fruits instead of cookies! The products that contains HFCS: baked stuff, cookies and cakes, candies, sweet beverages like Pepsi or Sprite, yogurts, breads, frozen pizza, breakfast cereals, salad dressing, boxed macaroni and cheese etc.
- Artificial sweeteners
These components in food lower our serotonin levels and contribute to depression and cause mood changes, headaches, and insomnia. Beside this, artificial sweeteners may be a good alternative if you have diabetes. Products with artificial sweeteners: marketed as "sugar-free" or "diet," including soft drinks, chewing gum, jellies, baked goods, candy, fruit juice, and ice cream and yogurt.
- Foods high in sodium Fat-free products can influence in a good way on your waistline, but not on your emotions. The products that are high in sodium can disrupt your neurological system, causing depression. Foods high in sodium include: table salt, baking soda, sauces, salad dressing, cured meat, cheese (Roquefort), pickles, fast foods, canned vegetables etc.
- Fluoride in water It’s not true that fluoride water is good for your teeth, all it can do is to cause a depression, thyroid imbalances, and constipation
- Processed food Consuming processed food can cause the same impact on your body as eating a lot of jelly beans. And it will lead to fatigue, irritation, and agitation. Examples of processed food are breakfast cereals, tinned vegetables, cheese, bread, bacon, microwave meals etc.
Excessive consumption of coffee makes a person addicted to caffeine, and drink becomes necessary as doping. If a person does not drink the required dose of coffee, he quickly gets tired, feels broken, he has a temper. Also caffeine affects your sleep, causing insomnia and anxiety. This picture is showing how much caffeine is in drinks you consume.
- Alcohol Alcohol can serve as a depressant, making feel relaxed but when you become dependent of it, that will stress you over time. Alcohol slows all processes of nervous system like thinking, understanding and controlling emotions. Also, it stimulates production of the same hormones that stress does. Go to our website for learning more about alcohol harm effects.
If you are interested in learning more facts about destructive food, check our article Top 5 nutrition facts.
Recent research from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, US, suggests that getting enough sleep at nights connected to the decreased risk of developing atherosclerosis, a condition in which plaque builds up on the inner walls of the arteries. For the study, a...
A new study from Portland State University in Oregon suggests that the Western diet can increase severity of sepsis, which is also called as blood poisoning. For the study, researchers fed mice the equivalent of a Western diet which included a lot of fat and sugar had...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more
It is time for us to find the solution how to deal with extra weight which is coming with Christmas and New Year’s celebrations because 2018 is almost over and 2019 is getting closer. The main aim is obviously staying in shape and today will find an effective way to...read more
We know that moderate exercise strengthens our health and makes us more beautiful. But few know about the importance of doing sports as psychotherapy. And, nevertheless, physical loads can save from depressions, reduce anxiety, relieve from professional burnout,...read more