7 foods that cause depression
There are so many factors that can affect your mental health and one of them is food. Researchers are trying to discover the potential effect of each product to our body. Learning their studies, Medigoo.com collected for you the list of food that can cause stress and even depression for your organism and you.
Some products, if taken in large quantities, and afflict the human nervous system, are highly addictive, which ultimately leads to depression.
These products can be divided to few different categories.
- High fructose corn syrup (processed sugars) Processed sugar negotiates with serotonin (the hormone of happiness) in a negative way and also it decrease energy level. Moreover, undigested fructose affects the colon, feeding bacteria there and cause bloating and diarrhea. So choose fresh fruits instead of cookies! The products that contains HFCS: baked stuff, cookies and cakes, candies, sweet beverages like Pepsi or Sprite, yogurts, breads, frozen pizza, breakfast cereals, salad dressing, boxed macaroni and cheese etc.
- Artificial sweeteners
These components in food lower our serotonin levels and contribute to depression and cause mood changes, headaches, and insomnia. Beside this, artificial sweeteners may be a good alternative if you have diabetes. Products with artificial sweeteners: marketed as "sugar-free" or "diet," including soft drinks, chewing gum, jellies, baked goods, candy, fruit juice, and ice cream and yogurt.
- Foods high in sodium Fat-free products can influence in a good way on your waistline, but not on your emotions. The products that are high in sodium can disrupt your neurological system, causing depression. Foods high in sodium include: table salt, baking soda, sauces, salad dressing, cured meat, cheese (Roquefort), pickles, fast foods, canned vegetables etc.
- Fluoride in water It’s not true that fluoride water is good for your teeth, all it can do is to cause a depression, thyroid imbalances, and constipation
- Processed food Consuming processed food can cause the same impact on your body as eating a lot of jelly beans. And it will lead to fatigue, irritation, and agitation. Examples of processed food are breakfast cereals, tinned vegetables, cheese, bread, bacon, microwave meals etc.
Excessive consumption of coffee makes a person addicted to caffeine, and drink becomes necessary as doping. If a person does not drink the required dose of coffee, he quickly gets tired, feels broken, he has a temper. Also caffeine affects your sleep, causing insomnia and anxiety. This picture is showing how much caffeine is in drinks you consume.
- Alcohol Alcohol can serve as a depressant, making feel relaxed but when you become dependent of it, that will stress you over time. Alcohol slows all processes of nervous system like thinking, understanding and controlling emotions. Also, it stimulates production of the same hormones that stress does. Go to our website for learning more about alcohol harm effects.
If you are interested in learning more facts about destructive food, check our article Top 5 nutrition facts.
It is well known that our overall health and wellbeing are totally dependable on what we eat. That is why a healthy diet plays a significant role in keeping the body healthy. Day after day, scientists all over the world make new discoveries proving that certain...
A new study finds that brain volumes of people who regularly eat vegetables, fruit, and fish are on average 2ml greater than brain volumes of those who often drink sugary beverages. A brain volume reduction of 3.6ml equals to one year of aging. For the study, the...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more