7 foods that cause depression
There are so many factors that can affect your mental health and one of them is food. Researchers are trying to discover the potential effect of each product to our body. Learning their studies, Medigoo.com collected for you the list of food that can cause stress and even depression for your organism and you.
Some products, if taken in large quantities, and afflict the human nervous system, are highly addictive, which ultimately leads to depression.
These products can be divided to few different categories.
- High fructose corn syrup (processed sugars) Processed sugar negotiates with serotonin (the hormone of happiness) in a negative way and also it decrease energy level. Moreover, undigested fructose affects the colon, feeding bacteria there and cause bloating and diarrhea. So choose fresh fruits instead of cookies! The products that contains HFCS: baked stuff, cookies and cakes, candies, sweet beverages like Pepsi or Sprite, yogurts, breads, frozen pizza, breakfast cereals, salad dressing, boxed macaroni and cheese etc.
- Artificial sweeteners
These components in food lower our serotonin levels and contribute to depression and cause mood changes, headaches, and insomnia. Beside this, artificial sweeteners may be a good alternative if you have diabetes. Products with artificial sweeteners: marketed as "sugar-free" or "diet," including soft drinks, chewing gum, jellies, baked goods, candy, fruit juice, and ice cream and yogurt.
- Foods high in sodium Fat-free products can influence in a good way on your waistline, but not on your emotions. The products that are high in sodium can disrupt your neurological system, causing depression. Foods high in sodium include: table salt, baking soda, sauces, salad dressing, cured meat, cheese (Roquefort), pickles, fast foods, canned vegetables etc.
- Fluoride in water It’s not true that fluoride water is good for your teeth, all it can do is to cause a depression, thyroid imbalances, and constipation
- Processed food Consuming processed food can cause the same impact on your body as eating a lot of jelly beans. And it will lead to fatigue, irritation, and agitation. Examples of processed food are breakfast cereals, tinned vegetables, cheese, bread, bacon, microwave meals etc.
Excessive consumption of coffee makes a person addicted to caffeine, and drink becomes necessary as doping. If a person does not drink the required dose of coffee, he quickly gets tired, feels broken, he has a temper. Also caffeine affects your sleep, causing insomnia and anxiety. This picture is showing how much caffeine is in drinks you consume.
- Alcohol Alcohol can serve as a depressant, making feel relaxed but when you become dependent of it, that will stress you over time. Alcohol slows all processes of nervous system like thinking, understanding and controlling emotions. Also, it stimulates production of the same hormones that stress does. Go to our website for learning more about alcohol harm effects.
If you are interested in learning more facts about destructive food, check our article Top 5 nutrition facts.
According to a new study, performed by the French scientists, people who eat a lot of fruit and vegetables have up to 30% less risk to experience the severe symptoms of asthma. For their research, a team of scientists studied approximately 35,000 people comparing...
A human immune system consists of various cells, tissues, and proteins. In the system, they carry out the processes in our body that fight with pathogens — viruses, bacteria, and foreign bodies. When a pathogen comes into contact with the immune system, the latter...
Pranayama is not just a complex of breathing exercises. It is a complex process, during which a person receives vital energy - prana from the air. Literally pranayama is translated as "stopping breathing". Hence the main goal of the whole breathing gymnastics is to be...read more
Experts often advise people as suitable trainings to climb stairs, rather than use the elevator. And here are 6 reasons why we should do this regularly. Classes on the treadmill or with the ellipsoid simulator in daily mode seem too boring. They can be replaced by a...read more
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more