7 Nutrition Things About Potatoes You Didn’t Know

There are hundreds of interesting facts about potatoes that can be easily assembled, but Medigoo.com selected the most interesting and unusual things you probably haven't heard before.

We used to think that potato is fattening food, it is all because we don't know the true facts about it and tips, which may serve us in cooking. After reading this, you will find out how to include potatoes in your diet even if you aim to lose weight.

1. The entire potato is healthy 

If you like potatoes, eat it whole with skin. One part of it is not less nutritious than other. Boil potatoes with skin, add some salt or pepper and it will be a great healthy main or dish.

2. Potatoes have a high moisture content

80 % of one piece consists of only water. The other 20% is solid.

3. The average potato has only 110 calories

Contrary to popular belief, the potatoes are not very high in calories, a single piece has 110 calories, but one tablespoon of butter will double the calorie content of potatoes, so stay tuned for that, and watch what and in what quantities you add in potato dishes.

4. It contains 2 grams of fiber 

Potato has more fiber than an apple. Fiber helps to lower blood cholesterol and alleviate constipation.

5. It gives 620 milligrams of potassium

Actually, a potato has more potassium than a banana, which is considered to be the most famous source of potassium. It is around 21% of our daily need.

6. Potato is very rich in vitamin C

It provides 45% of the recommended daily norm  of vitamin C. It is much more than orange can give. Vitamin C is a great antioxidant that can strengthen our immune system and provide healthy skin.

7. It is a source of vitamin B6 

Potato gives us 10% of daily need of vitamin B6. This vitamin helps to convert food into energy and stimulates a body to metabolize fats and proteins.There are millions of recipes and ways to cook it. You may bake, boil, roast, grill it and enjoy all its benefits!

3 Comments

  1. Keshavam International

    Potato is the most popular crop of the country as it is economical and provides a source of low cost energy. Potato can be used by textile industry for sizing yarn, in laundries as starch, production of glucose and Dexedrine, in food industry for making potato chips.

    Reply
  2. Jade Brunet

    I am happy to have found this information about potatoes. I did not know that potatoes have a high moisture content. It is also interesting to learn that the entire potato, including the skin, has nutritional value. Something to consider would be to incorporate this food item into all kinds of different dishes to make it a regular part of your diet.

    Reply
    • editor-m

      Thank you for commenting! We are glad that this information was interesting and useful for you.

      Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Use of Antibiotics Linked to Higher Risk of Colon Cancer

Use of Antibiotics Linked to Higher Risk of Colon Cancer

According to new research, published in the journal Gut, the use of antibiotics in pills and capsules is associated with the higher risk of colon cancer but lower risk of rectal cancer at the same time. Researchers say this risk depends on the type and class of...

The Best Food Choices for an Anti-inflammatory Diet

The Best Food Choices for an Anti-inflammatory Diet

Chronic inflammation has been associated with a range of conditions, and some evidence indicates lifestyle, and what we eat in particular, may contribute to inflammation. The scientific community agrees that chronic inflammation plays a noticeable role in such...

[WpProQuiz 1]

Featured Products

[recent_products per_page="6" orderby="menu_order" columns="6" order="ASC"]

Kangoo Jumps Training: 5 Beginner Exercises

In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...

read more