How to read food labels: buy truly healthy products
- Look at ingredients list. They are listed in order of weight. You should be careful if the list contains partially hydrogenated and hydrogenated oils because it means that the product has trans fats. Also check for added sugars and whole grains.
- At the top of food label you can check serving size. Sometimes it is smaller than you expect and usually eat. In such case you need to increase all nutritional contents according to your needs.
- After you should look at number of calories per serving and calories from fat. The total amount of calories is very important if you wish to control your weight or currently coping with overweight.
- More down you will see the total fat per serving and the grams of saturated, polyunsaturated, trans, and monounsaturated fats. Amounts will be rounded to near full number (like 0,8=1 gram). If you want to limit saturated fats to 5% of your total calories, divide your body weight to 12 and you get a daily limit of these fats.
- It's better to exclude trans fats, but you can consume polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, they are healthy.
- Further down you are able to check cholesterol content. This number is not so important because your blood cholesterol levels will depend on saturated and trans fats. So feel free to skip this point.
- Next you can find information about fiber content. Men should take more than 38 grams of total fiber per day, when women more than 25 grams.
- Further down is information on sugar. Of course, less is better. Unfortunately, it won't be mentioned if its natural or added sugar so check the ingredients list to distinguish it. Usually, you will see high-fructose corn syrup.
- And a final one is protein content. More of less, all products give healthy protein intake so it's no reason to count it.
A new study from Italy finds that patients hospitalized with COVID-19, besides physical symptoms, also have neurological symptoms, such as altered mental status and stroke. For the study, a team of researchers analyzed records of patients treated at the University of...
A new study, published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, finds that after eating foods with a high content of saturated fats, within the next few hours, a person’s ability to concentrate can be lowered. For the study, the researchers recruited 51...
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...