Mediterranean diet – make healthy choices!
The Mediterranean diet is recognized as the best nutritional system in the world, and the one that suits for everybody. The diet includes the traditional healthy living habits of people from countries near the Mediterranean Sea like Italy, Greece, Spain, and France.
The main concept of this diet is consuming proportionally high amount of olive oil, unrefined cereals, legumes, fruits and vegetables, moderated consumption of fish, dairy products, wine and low consumption of non-fish meat and non-fish meat products.
Scientists and doctors proved that the Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease for 33% and the risk of cancer for 24%, as well as reduces the level of "harmful" cholesterol for 7,5%. The study, conducted with the participation of 22 thousand people from different corners of the Earth, showed that residents of the Mediterranean less likely to suffer from heart ailments, rarely have serious overweight, hypertension, and diabetes (such a diet is considered the best "medicine" in both forms of the disease), and Alzheimer's disease.Research also showed that such diet can reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.Mediterranean diet benefits:
- you don’t need to count calories or cut out some food groups (like bread, fats)
- you will eat fresh, seasonal food prepared in a simple way
- your menu is not limited
- you can have wine
- you will be able to lose weight
- eating mostly plan-based products like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes and nuts
- having a lot of starchy food as bread and pasta
- replacing bad fats with natural such as olive oil
- eating fish at least twice a week
- using herbs and spices
- eating less meat
- moderated drinking of red wine
Mediterranean diet pyramidThe pyramid consists of three main levels - what you should eat every day, every week, and once or twice a month.You should eat every day:
- whole-grain bread or bran cereal, pasta from durum wheat, different cereals (except semolina), potatoes; try to eat starchy foods in the morning
- fruits and vegetables, preferably raw, don’t overdo with very sweet fruits
- yogurt and cheese in a variety of forms, preferably without sugar
- olive oil
- legumes and nuts
- herbs and spices
- drink 6-8 glasses of pure water
- permissible to drink a glass of red wine during one of the main meals
- sea fish;
- poultry or rabbit;
- candy and other goodies.
A new study from Harvard University finds that people in a good mood, when feeling happy, seek out for the company of strangers while sad people seek out the company of friends. For the study, a team of researchers kept tabs on more than 30,000 people who were mostly...
Here is the list of nine user-friendly gym machines for women that are intimidated by barbells, bumper plates, and squat racks by Robin Cortez, director of team training for Chuze Fitness, which has clubs in California, Colorado and Arizona: Smith machine — used for...
When it is so hot outside you still can find hundreds of ways to cool yourself and drinking a mocktail is one of them. Here are few wonderful recipes for you to try. Kiwi Sour 1 oz orange juice 3 slices kiwi 0.75 oz demerara green tea syrup 0.75 oz lime juice 1 oz...read more
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...read more
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more