Mediterranean diet – make healthy choices!
The Mediterranean diet is recognized as the best nutritional system in the world, and the one that suits for everybody. The diet includes the traditional healthy living habits of people from countries near the Mediterranean Sea like Italy, Greece, Spain, and France.
The main concept of this diet is consuming proportionally high amount of olive oil, unrefined cereals, legumes, fruits and vegetables, moderated consumption of fish, dairy products, wine and low consumption of non-fish meat and non-fish meat products.
Scientists and doctors proved that the Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease for 33% and the risk of cancer for 24%, as well as reduces the level of "harmful" cholesterol for 7,5%. The study, conducted with the participation of 22 thousand people from different corners of the Earth, showed that residents of the Mediterranean less likely to suffer from heart ailments, rarely have serious overweight, hypertension, and diabetes (such a diet is considered the best "medicine" in both forms of the disease), and Alzheimer's disease.Research also showed that such diet can reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.Mediterranean diet benefits:
- you don’t need to count calories or cut out some food groups (like bread, fats)
- you will eat fresh, seasonal food prepared in a simple way
- your menu is not limited
- you can have wine
- you will be able to lose weight
- eating mostly plan-based products like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes and nuts
- having a lot of starchy food as bread and pasta
- replacing bad fats with natural such as olive oil
- eating fish at least twice a week
- using herbs and spices
- eating less meat
- moderated drinking of red wine
Mediterranean diet pyramidThe pyramid consists of three main levels - what you should eat every day, every week, and once or twice a month.You should eat every day:
- whole-grain bread or bran cereal, pasta from durum wheat, different cereals (except semolina), potatoes; try to eat starchy foods in the morning
- fruits and vegetables, preferably raw, don’t overdo with very sweet fruits
- yogurt and cheese in a variety of forms, preferably without sugar
- olive oil
- legumes and nuts
- herbs and spices
- drink 6-8 glasses of pure water
- permissible to drink a glass of red wine during one of the main meals
- sea fish;
- poultry or rabbit;
- candy and other goodies.
Recent research, presented at Digestive Disease Week 2019, finds that various types of physical activity including walking and strength exercises are connected to the reduced risk of dying from cirrhosis. For the study, the researchers prospectively followed 68,449...
A new study from the University of South Australia in Adelaide aimed to determine how much coffee would increase the risk of developing cardiovascular disease in people with and without the genetic variant. For the study, the researchers analyzed data from 347,077...
Many people are motivated for active sports in spring. However, before you buy a membership, you should check which exercises are useful to you and which ones should not be done in any way. Unfortunately, nowadays there are practically no people with an absolutely...read more
In childhood, many of us dreamed of learning to jump high. Now, after years, it became easier - Kangoo Jumps has appeared. This is one of the relatively new, but quickly gaining popularity types of fitness training. There are several advantages of jumpers. ...read more
It is time for us to find the solution how to deal with extra weight which is coming with Christmas and New Year’s celebrations because 2018 is almost over and 2019 is getting closer. The main aim is obviously staying in shape and today will find an effective way to...read more