Mediterranean diet – make healthy choices!
The Mediterranean diet is recognized as the best nutritional system in the world, and the one that suits for everybody. The diet includes the traditional healthy living habits of people from countries near the Mediterranean Sea like Italy, Greece, Spain, and France.
The main concept of this diet is consuming proportionally high amount of olive oil, unrefined cereals, legumes, fruits and vegetables, moderated consumption of fish, dairy products, wine and low consumption of non-fish meat and non-fish meat products.
Scientists and doctors proved that the Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease for 33% and the risk of cancer for 24%, as well as reduces the level of "harmful" cholesterol for 7,5%. The study, conducted with the participation of 22 thousand people from different corners of the Earth, showed that residents of the Mediterranean less likely to suffer from heart ailments, rarely have serious overweight, hypertension, and diabetes (such a diet is considered the best "medicine" in both forms of the disease), and Alzheimer's disease.Research also showed that such diet can reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.Mediterranean diet benefits:
- you don’t need to count calories or cut out some food groups (like bread, fats)
- you will eat fresh, seasonal food prepared in a simple way
- your menu is not limited
- you can have wine
- you will be able to lose weight
- eating mostly plan-based products like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes and nuts
- having a lot of starchy food as bread and pasta
- replacing bad fats with natural such as olive oil
- eating fish at least twice a week
- using herbs and spices
- eating less meat
- moderated drinking of red wine
Mediterranean diet pyramidThe pyramid consists of three main levels - what you should eat every day, every week, and once or twice a month.You should eat every day:
- whole-grain bread or bran cereal, pasta from durum wheat, different cereals (except semolina), potatoes; try to eat starchy foods in the morning
- fruits and vegetables, preferably raw, don’t overdo with very sweet fruits
- yogurt and cheese in a variety of forms, preferably without sugar
- olive oil
- legumes and nuts
- herbs and spices
- drink 6-8 glasses of pure water
- permissible to drink a glass of red wine during one of the main meals
- sea fish;
- poultry or rabbit;
- candy and other goodies.
According to recent research, published in the journal Immunity, probiotics can be used safely and efficiently to fight osteoporosis, widely-known as osteoporosis. The researchers have used a mouse model to check the hypothesis. The mice received oral Lactobacillus...
A new study, published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, finds that a hot bath may help reduce inflammation and improve metabolism. As a part of an experiment, each study participant took a hot bath with water temperature 102°F (39°C) for one hour. The researchers...
Factors such as age, gender, physical activity, genetics, medical history, body type, and others directly affect not only the desire to lose weight, but also to follow the right diet. Everything is relative, everything is individual. Nevertheless, there are universal...read more
It is very entertaining to be a sport fan. There is a big variety of sport games that are extremely interesting to follow. Moreover, it is always fun to anticipate the score and watch the enthusiasm live. One of the benefits of being sports fan is using different...read more
A new study of nearly 18,000 participants found that those with high fitness at middle age were significantly less likely to die from heart disease in later life, even if they were diagnosed with depression. Doctor's Tips: How to Stay Fit While Treating Depression Dr....read more