Nutrition Tips for Coping with Pyrosis
People, who often suffer from pyrosis, probably have the lower esophageal sphincter in not enough elastic condition or it relaxes often, allowing the gastric acid to permeate into the esophagus.
Heartburn occurs when esophageal tissue is in contact with big amount of stomach acid, and because of this process you may feel pain similar to burning and injury of the esophagus.
If you suffer from heartburn, you can prevent the tendency of lower esophageal sphincter to relax and loss of elasticity, what will significantly reduce permeation of the acidic contents of the stomach into the esophagus. To do this, remember such tips:
- 1. Try to not go to sleep during 1-2 hours after having a meal. When the body is positioned horizontally, gastric acid can move easier in the lower esophageal sphincter.
- 2. Avoid food that relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter (chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, peppermint, fat food), as well as foods and drinks that can have irritating effect on the injured esophagus (citrus and citrus juices, tomatoes and tomato juice, red hot chili peppers and black pepper).
- Avoid large portions, as larger amount of food into the stomach as higher risk of heartburn.
- Avoid fat food because it stays in the stomach longer than other food.
- Try not to smoke or drink alcohol before, during and immediately after having a meal, as it can cause pyrosis.
- Use a chewing gum after a meal for stimulating the secretion of saliva (saliva bicarbonate neutralizes acid) and activation of peristalsis (which makes advancement of gastric contents into the small intestine faster).
- Consume drinks that not heartburn threatening such as water, mineral water, non-citrus juice, decaffeinated tea, skim milk or low-fat milk. There are drinks that are recommended to exclude: carbonated water, juices (tomato and citrus juices), alcoholic beverages, coffee (decaf as well).
- Eat food with a big amount of fiber like grain and cereal products, vegetables, legumes, fruits, nuts, and seeds.
According to a recent study, published in The Journal of Physiology, exercising four to five times per week may help stop the main arteries to the heart from stiffening up. The researchers from the US have found that those who exercise four to five times per week had...
A new study from Brazil suggests that trendy intermittent fasting may be the reason for increasing insulin levels and the amount of abdominal fat. It also may lead to the damage of pancreatic cells. Intermittent fasting diet is a diet when a dieting person has “fast”...
Quiz about this article
0 of 2 questions completed
Please answer on few questions to make our service more useful
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 2 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 2
Was this article useful for you?Correct
Thanks for your feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for your feedback!
Question 2 of 2
What else information about this disease you want to know ?Correct
Thanks for feedback!Incorrect
Thanks for feedback!
Good weather is the best reason to do outdoor sports, which will help not only lose weight, but also will strengthen health. Bicycle The sun dries out the local paths, so you can safely sit on your favorite bike and confidently twist the pedals, where the eyes look....read more
First aid for injuries consists of simple rules that need to be clearly implemented. If this is a closed injury, you need to immobilize the injured limb, otherwise the person may lose consciousness from a painful shock. If you need to get to the emergency room...read more
Many people spontaneously decide starting to do sport, while others weigh all the pros and cons for a log time. But almost all of them make the same mistakes, listening to the advice of non experts. There are 10 anti-tips for those who want to do plan to do some sport...read more