Nutrition Tips for Coping with Pyrosis
People, who often suffer from pyrosis, probably have the lower esophageal sphincter in not enough elastic condition or it relaxes often, allowing the gastric acid to permeate into the esophagus.
Heartburn occurs when esophageal tissue is in contact with big amount of stomach acid, and because of this process you may feel pain similar to burning and injury of the esophagus.
If you suffer from heartburn, you can prevent the tendency of lower esophageal sphincter to relax and loss of elasticity, what will significantly reduce permeation of the acidic contents of the stomach into the esophagus. To do this, remember such tips:
- 1. Try to not go to sleep during 1-2 hours after having a meal. When the body is positioned horizontally, gastric acid can move easier in the lower esophageal sphincter.
- 2. Avoid food that relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter (chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, peppermint, fat food), as well as foods and drinks that can have irritating effect on the injured esophagus (citrus and citrus juices, tomatoes and tomato juice, red hot chili peppers and black pepper).
- Avoid large portions, as larger amount of food into the stomach as higher risk of heartburn.
- Avoid fat food because it stays in the stomach longer than other food.
- Try not to smoke or drink alcohol before, during and immediately after having a meal, as it can cause pyrosis.
- Use a chewing gum after a meal for stimulating the secretion of saliva (saliva bicarbonate neutralizes acid) and activation of peristalsis (which makes advancement of gastric contents into the small intestine faster).
- Consume drinks that not heartburn threatening such as water, mineral water, non-citrus juice, decaffeinated tea, skim milk or low-fat milk. There are drinks that are recommended to exclude: carbonated water, juices (tomato and citrus juices), alcoholic beverages, coffee (decaf as well).
- Eat food with a big amount of fiber like grain and cereal products, vegetables, legumes, fruits, nuts, and seeds.
Raised sensitivity to bitter tastes might be an indicator of higher risk of cancer in women, according to a new research, conducted by scientists at the College of Agriculture Sciences of Pennsylvania State University in State College (US) in association with a team...
A new study from the Stevens School of Business in New Jersey, USA, finds that even coffee scent can sharpen the brain under certain conditions. In the study, 114 students were involved. The participants were divided into two group and both had to answer mathematical...
We all know that doing sports is very important, both for health and for a beautiful body. But at the moment when we decide to finally take the path, we are faced with the question: what kind of sport is right for me? So, let's start with the fact that a lot of people...read more
Pranayama is not just a complex of breathing exercises. It is a complex process, during which a person receives vital energy - prana from the air. Literally pranayama is translated as "stopping breathing". Hence the main goal of the whole breathing gymnastics is to be...read more
Experts often advise people as suitable trainings to climb stairs, rather than use the elevator. And here are 6 reasons why we should do this regularly. Classes on the treadmill or with the ellipsoid simulator in daily mode seem too boring. They can be replaced by a...read more