The COVID-19 pandemic that has claimed around 5 million lives worldwide has added to the anxieties of everyone in the world. In May 2021, the American Psychiatric Association released a poll showing that 64% of Americans were anxious about the people they love catching SARS-CoV-2. Moreover, 41% of Americans reported feeling more anxious than they did the previous year.
While there’s no food or beverage able to eliminate anxiety or depression, it still can affect the level of calm. So here are 9 foods and beverages that may help protect from anxiety and stress:
- Raw fruits and vegetables which are associated with better mental health: apples, bananas, carrots, citrus fruits, cucumbers, dark leafy greens, fresh berries, kiwi fruit, lettuce.
- Pumpkin and squash seeds.
- Fermented foods such as raw apple cider vinegar, kefir, kimchi, yogurt.
- Foods rich in vitamin C such as broccoli, brussels sprouts, cantaloupe, cauliflower, clementines, grapefruit, green and red peppers, kiwi fruit, spinach, tomatoes, and winter squash.
- Whole grains including wheat flour bread, quinoa, brown rice, oatmeal, and millet.
- Peppermint tea.
- Milk, including plant-based milk: almond milk, cow’s milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, lactose-free milk, oat milk, and pea milk.
- Dark chocolate.