These smart (and easy to adopt) strategies can help you protect yourself from getting ticks this spring:
- When hiking or walking through a park of a forest, always stick to the middle of paths and trails, as ticks usually more prevalent on trees.
- Prefer wearing white, as ticks are easier to spot on light clothing.
- Wear a cap and use a specific repellent on your face.
- Protect your ankles wearing socks.
- When traveling into the tick-heavy backcountry for days apply the insecticide permethrin to your clothes and spray repellent on skin not covered by clothing.
- When checking for ticks, pay special attention to the groin, backs of the knees, and armpits.
- Hit the shower and used a loofah.