Essential oils are often used at home for aromatherapies which are believed to offer various health benefits. However, a number of studies show that specific essential oils may be beneficial for treating headaches. Here are 5 best essential oils for a headache:
- Lavender oil — a study in 2012 suggested that inhalation of this oil can be a safe and effective treatment to manage migraine headaches.
- Rosemary oil — a 2008 study finds that this oil has anti-inflammatory and pain-killing properties.
- Peppermint oil — a 2015 review of studies states that applying peppermint oil to the temples and forehead provides relief from tension headaches.
- Chamomile oil — a 2012 research demonstrated that chamomile oil may improve some of the symptoms of anxiety and depression. It also may help treat headaches.
- Eucalyptus oil — a 2013 study from China finds that this oil was effective for relieving pain and lowering blood pressure.