Running a marathon might seem as a good idea but it may lead to injury, stress and frustration. Experts revealed that too ambitious fitness goals may lead to disappointment.
Marcus Bondi, bodyweight trainer and strength and fitness Guinness World Record holder, says: “Fixating on unrealistic goals merely ensures unnecessary personal failure, soul-wrenching heartache, self-defeating lies and pointless recriminations!”.
Here are some tips for seting the correct fitness goal and achieving results.
- Time it right.
To set the right goal, you need to clarify how much time you need to complete it according to you normal daily life.
“Consider what else is going on in your life and if you actually have the time available to dedicate to your fitness goal,” Louder says.
- Set weight-loss targets.
If you’re setting out to lose weight this year, breaking your fitness goal down into smaller targets will help keep you motivated.
- Go back where you start if motivation disappears.
If your motivation begins to wavier remember re-setting a goal is not failing – it is about you staying on course to change.
“Understand that positive physical change is incremental and have a plan suited to your abilities and need for change.”
- Run for distance not time.
If training for a fun run, then focus on the fun part first! Then, set out to achieve gradually increasing the distance you can cover in your long runs.“It is quite difficult to run for time unless you have built up the fitness and know you can keep going for 30 or 45 minutes – but that will come,” Louder says.
- Track your progress right.
Using apps and devices to track your progress can help propel you towards achieving your fitness goal. After all, you can’t beat the satisfaction you feel when you see an increase in the distance you run, calories you burn or steps you take.Try not to obsess over the numbers and push beyond your means, which can risk injury or burn out
A new German study, published in the journal Cell Reports, suggests that parents may boost the intelligence of their offspring by exercising.
The research, using a mice model, showed that active mice are more likely to have offspring with the higher ability to learn compared to mice whose movement was restricted. German researchers identified that “microRNA” molecules which were known to promote this neuron connectivity in the brain, as well as in the sperm, in response to exercise.
Study author Professor André Fischer from the German Center for Neurodegenerative Disease says: “Presumably, [miRNA212 and miRNA132] modify brain development in a very subtle manner improving the connection of neurons. This results in a cognitive advantage for the offspring.”
According to a new research from Brunel University London in the United Kingdom, listening to music during performing exercise may help us enjoy working out more.
To get the results of the study, a team of scientists used electroencephalography technology (EEG) to monitor the brain’s response to music while participants were engaged in physical activity.
The team found that listening to music led to a 28% increase in enjoyment during the walking task than those who didn’t listen to music.
Study co-author Marcelo Bigliassi says: “We showed that music has the potential to increase beta waves and elicit a more positive emotional state. This can be capitalized upon during other forms of exercise and render a given activity more pleasurable.”
We all want to get in shape and keep fit. But not everyone has time for visiting the gym.
- Give up the elevator. Give up lifts and climb the stairs. At work, at home, at the mall. This simple advice is a great benefit if you follow it daily. Climbing the stairs perfectly works out the muscles of the buttocks.
- Fitball instead of an office chair. It’s not a secret for anyone that sitting down motionless work does not bring any benefit. If you have such a job, we advise you to push aside the office chair and replace it with a fitball. Fitball will perfectly strengthen all the muscles, especially the muscles of the legs. Also you will improve your posture in the shortest possible time.
- Go to work on a bicycle. It might be difficult to do in winter, but from April to the end of October you can safely replace personal or public transport with a great one. Firstly, you will improve your physical form, and secondly – you will save on petrol and traveling on public transport.
- Play fitness video games. There are many games which are associated with the movement of your body.There is even a special console Wii Fit developed by Nintendo. Among the games you can choose aerobics, exercise, yoga or balance exercises. Useful and very fun.
- Fitness with video lessons. It’s simple. Buy a DVD or find an online training program and do it at home. After all, in fact, you will be engaged in a special program, which is used in gyms.
- Walk with the dog. A great way to keep yourself in shape for dog owners. Make walks with your pet longer and more intense. Increase the distance.
- Dancing is a very effective method in combating excess kilograms. Just turn on the music and dance. You will burn calories and improve coordination.
- House cleaning. Regular cleaning allows you to kill two birds with one stone. First, you maintain cleanliness at home, and secondly get a payload. Carry a heavy vacuum cleaner throughout the apartment, wash the floors, clean the bathroom – that’s a great way to keep your body in tone.
Read also: 3 Yoga Exercises That Will Help You to Get Rid of Insomnia
1) Starting position: sitting on the edge of the chair.
On a breath, bend over in the back. To do this, the shoulders should be lowered as far as possible, with the shoulder blades pushing the chest forward and bending in the lower back. On exhalation, round your back. To do this, push the point between the shoulder blades as far back as possible, tighten the chin closer to the clavicles, and unfold the pelvis forward. Perform 8 cycles of these movements.
2) On a breath, push the thorax to the left, maximally stretching on the left side surface. Weight will be transferred to the left buttock. On exhalation, return to the center, and the weight will be distributed over the buttocks. And on the next breath, push the thorax to the right, watching how the weight will be transferred to the right buttock. Repeat 8 movements to each side.
3) Raise your right arm up and bend at the elbow, placing your palm on the area between the shoulder blades. The left hand lead down, bend at the elbow and try to close your palms in the lock behind your back. Thoracle slightly push to the right. Feel how the ribs opened and the breath became larger in volume on the right side. Be in this position for up to 1 minute. Repeat this movement, changing sides.